Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to add a custom_field when you push a defect

Hello,
On jira, I have customs fields : Rule_Ref which are my customfield_13100 and customfield_13101

When I go to the configuration, i have written :
"
[push.field.customfield_13100]
label=Where Found
size=compact
type=dropdown
required=true
"

But when i go to the pop in, I don’t see this field.

So, how can i get this field ?
How can i say that this field = configuration (fields from testrail) ?

I say that this field is present not for all project but several

Thanks a lot for your help

Hi Aurélie,

Have you added the fields to the [push.fields] section as well? You would also need to enable the fields as follows:

customfield_13100=on
customfield_13101=on

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/tools-jira-fields#custom_fields

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Yes, it helps me and it works fine.

ON Testrail, I have created a custom field :“custom_rule_ref”

So, if i write like this :
[push.field.customfield_13100]
label=Rule_Ref
size=compact
type=string
required=false
value=custom_rule_ref

My field stay empty.
So how can i Have on my custom field, the value of my testrail custom field ?

Hi Aurélie,

Great to hear that it works now :slight_smile: Mapping this field to a custom field in TestRail is not directly possible but you can copy & paste the value manually to the JIRA field on the Push Defect dialog. Another option is to add the field value to the Description field and TestRail has a built-in feature for this called defect templates:

Cheers,
Tobias

IT is a shame that we can’t prefilled a jira’s field by a testrail’s field.
Could you confirm that there is no solution about this point ?
Do you think that you make an evolution about this point ?

so can you explain this point : “Another option is to add the field value to the Description field and TestRail has a built-in feature for this called defect templates”

How can I make this ?

Hi Aurélie,

There’s an “Enter a template” link on Administration > Customizations which allows you to add your custom field to the Description template. Please see the screenshot above for an example (after the link was clicked and the template was expanded). Once you clicked the “Enter” link, you can fields with the small Add Field link below the text box.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

And how you apply the template to the defect plugin for one project?

Hi Aurélie,

You can configure the same template per project on Administration > Projects > edit the project > Defects using the same steps.

Cheers,
Tobias

I am using YouTrack and would like to add fields to my Push Defect as well. Is the process the same or will it be different to update this in Administration>Integration>Defects tab?

Thanks!

Hi Ken,

The process for including additional values in the issue description is the same for all defect integrations and you can customize the description globally on Administration > Integration or per project on Administration > Projects > edit a project > Defects.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias