Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to add a column in a test case between the steps and the expected result?

Good time of day. In a test case with a test case template (steps), I want to add an extra column between the steps and the expected result. For example, the column “Test data” is intended for deducing test data from steps. Is it possible? How to do it? I could not do it on my own.

1 Like

I also received an answer to this question from the support service, which says that you cannot add a column, but you can add a table to the steps description for the “Test cases (text)” template type. I think this is not as convenient as adding a column. I asked to consider the possibility of adding such functionality, and as it turned out, I was not the only one who left this request.

Therefore, I ask all those who are also interested in adding this functionality to leave their support request. Do not remain indifferent. Thank you for your attention and have a nice day.:wink:

1 Like

Hi there,

There’s not currently a way in the app to create an additional field for use with the test case steps. This has been requested before, and we do have an internal request to consider adding this in a future update. I can’t give any guarantees on when it may be available, but I have added your vote to help our team prioritize new features for upcoming releases.

As pointed out by @unwnu, the best workaround currently would be to add a table to one of the existing fields in order to separate the different values needed within the steps.

1 Like

I really hope this will be something that you guys can fix.
For now we have implemented a general test data field above the steps and if there are any specific things to the step it will be shown in the step.

1 Like

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting and for the feedback! I have added your vote to this feature request as well.

Regards,
John

1 Like

I was just trying to determine whether a Test Data column can be added last week! (but didn’t get around to ask here)

We also have a Test Data field at the top and for some test cases it isn’t convenient especially when there is a lot of data in the test.

Please add my vote to this request as well.

Cheers
Ory

1 Like