Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How do I move an individual test run into a test plan?

Hi guys,

I have a scenario where a test run was accidently created stand-alone rather than added to the relevant test plan.

Quite a number of tests were then executed using this test run. My problem now is that I want to add the test run and its results into the test plan (which is associated with a particular milestone) for the sake of reporting, but I can’t find a way within the product to action this.

Could you advise if this is possible, either in the product or by manipulating the database?

Thanks

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your posting. It’s unfortunately not possible to move/include a separate test run in a test plan. Doing this through the database would also not be possible as test plans are handled special in the database. For now I would suggest to continue using the separate test run and then using test plans for the next iteration/test that you start.

Thanks,
Dennis

Just posted this question http://forum.gurock.com/topic/1522/move-test-runs-with-results/, then found this older thread afterwards.

"Is it possible to move a test run with results from one test plan to another?

This is the following scenario we’re trying to solve. We release according to a regular schedule. At any time, we can have 3-4 projects in different QA environments being tested. Each time we prepare a release candidate, we merge the projects that are ready into trunk and deploy to a Staging environment for integration testing.

This is what we’d like to be able to do. If we have four projects, A-D, we want to have four different test plans tracking testing.
Project A Test Plan (QA)
Project B Test Plan (QA)
Project C Test Plan (QA)
Project D Test Plan (QA)

Once we merge and deploy to Staging, we want to be able to transfer the test runs and results from the QA test plans to the Staging Test plan. So, if Release 1 contained projects A & C, we’d have:
Project B Test Plan (QA)
Project D Test Plan (QA)
Release 1 Test Plan (Staging) <- Contains test runs and results from Project A Test Plan (QA) and Project C Test Plan (QA).

Is this possible with Test Rail?"

Since it’s now 2014, has Test Rail functionality been expanded to allow for this use case? Not allowing us to move existing runs with results into a test plan means that we have to know weeks or months prior to release which projects will be included in that release if we want to track release testing using a Test Rail test plan. The roll-up reports in Test Rail are very useful for tracking overall test project burndown, and is one of the things we pay enterprise pricing for. The current requirement for significant advanced planning per release does not fit within Agile development processes.

If we have a train that leaves the station every two weeks, but we don’t know which passengers will be ready to get on the train, then we need to be able to let those passengers on dynamically. Otherwise, the train gets held up. In our organization, the train is not allowed to be held up. Passengers just miss the train.

Hello Alin,

Thanks for your posting. Could you elaborate on why you want to keep the same test runs and old test results when you reached Staging? Wouldn’t it makes sense to start new test runs and verify the tests again in the new environment? Thanks again and I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

After merge to Staging, we execute and Failed, Blocked, or Retest test cases from the QA run. However, we only rerun a subset of Passed test cases covering areas that might have been affected by code merge for the release. A number of our projects have in excess of 4,000 manual and automated test cases. It’s easier for us to track which environment the test case was run in at the test case level, using a custom field, and to carry on using the existing test runs.

Depending on the project, it’s rare that we have enough time to finish all testing in QA, or to rerun all testing in Staging. We usually have to utilize a hybrid approach to manage risk.

Best,

A

Hello Alin,

Thanks for the additional feedback. In this case I would recommend looking into the Rerun feature and limiting the test case selection with the case filter. The Rerun feature allows you to create new test runs/plans based on previous test runs/plans including filtering on previous results:

The next version (TestRail 3.1, available very soon) will add a few new features to the test case selection dialog which allows you to add/remove test cases to/from the selection, making this ideal to filter the selection further as needed (e.g. based on your custom field).

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

We use the rerun feature pretty extensively. However, it only allows you to rerun test cases from test runs in by duplicating the parent test plan. If I want to combine subsets of test runs from multiple QA test plans into a single Staging test plan, I’m still unable to do it.

Best,

• A

Hello Alin,

Thanks for the update. Yes, that’s currently not really supported. I would still recommend using the rerun feature and you can easily delete unwanted test runs and/or change test case selection then. It’s currently not supported to use the rerun feature to create a combined test plans or multiple test plans/separate test runs and you would need to create multiple test plans for this.

I would recommend looking into combining the test plans logically into a common milestone (“e.g. v2.38 Staging”) and this would basically have the same advantages as using a single test plan (i.e. combined reporting, charts and statistics). Would this work for you?

Regards,
Tobias

We’ll try it with our next major release and update if it works.

Thanks for the update, Alin, and please let us know how it turns out.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi. I’m just following up to see if following scenario is now supported in the latest version of TestRail v5.0.2.3372.

I want to add the test run and its results into the test plan.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your posting. Moving a standalone test run to a test plan is still not possible and we recommend starting a new test run in the test plan instead. You can simply keep the old test run (and maybe close it) and add new results to the new test run.

Cheers,
Tobias

I’d like to vote for this feature to be considered in the future. I’m trying to figure out a good workflow for our agile process, and I change my mind on organization quite frequently. Being able to freely organize test runs into any sort of group, test plan or otherwise, would be desirable.

My example: I created a test run (my first ever) to represent my sprint. Partway into testing I realized it would be preferable to group these tests by feature, which then led me to realize that perhaps each test run should encompass only one feature. That led me to using test plans to represent each sprint, which in turn meant I needed to move my original test run underneath a test plan.

Is my example a common (or recommended) workflow for agile? Test plan = sprint name, test run = feature name?

Hi Rocket,

Thanks for your feedback, happy to add another vote. Yes, using test plans for sprints is a common and recommended scenario and this makes sense. We also recommend using test plans for this and this makes it easy to group related test runs as part of your iteration. For now, I would recommend keeping the single test run as is and simply use test plans for your next sprints going forward if this would work for you.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Please add my vote too. I would like to freely move test runs to a project when required.

Thanks
Nira

Thanks for your feedback, Nira!

Cheers,
Tobias

Any updates on this feature? We are in the same boat as previous user, during initial launch we implemented a layout for Test Suites that we are wanting to change. Our only way to archive Suites from the old layout is to create a new “archive” project and move the suites/cases/runs. We are able to do this except for the run data. A Move feature would be great. Ultimately a way to Archive within the same project (not requiring a move) would be even better.

Hi Tanya,

Thanks for your posting. You can also look into keep using the same project and let me explain how this works. When you close your original test runs, this would archive the test run, tests and results and modifications to the test suites and cases would not affect any of those closed runs:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/userguide-tips#closing_test_runs

So, if you close your test runs, you can reorganize your test suites (e.g. to the single suite mode) and cases as you like and this wouldn’t affect existing test results.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I would also like to add my vote on this one. I was trying to accomplish this today and I agree with the others that this would be really helpful!

Thanks,
Bryan

Thanks for your feedback, Bryan!

Cheers,
Tobias