Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How do I debug POST requests?

I’m new to the test rail API & using the C# “SDK”

Question: How do I debug/view any activity logs on the server to see if it even received my POST?

What works: GET requests
What doesn’t work: POST requests - they timeout after 30+ seconds

Steps to reproduce the problem I’m trying to figure out how to debug…

• Environment: Unity3D version 5.2.3f1
  • Get the C# client from your site
  • Set up an instance of Gurock.TestRail.APIClient connecting to your email/apikey on EXAMPLE.testrail.com
  • This GET will work:
public Dictionary<String, Object> getSuite(int suiteId)
  {
  	return (Dictionary<String, Object>)apiClient.SendGet ("get_suite/" + suiteId);
  }
  • This POST request will FAIL and time out in APIClient.SendRequest durring the response = (HttpWebResponse)request.GetResponse(); call:
public Dictionary<String, Object> addRun(int projectId, int suiteId, int caseId, string name, string description)
  {
  	int[] case_array = new int[] {caseId};
  	var data = new Dictionary<string, object> {
  		{"name",        name},
  		{"description", description},
  		{"case_ids",    case_array},
  		{"suite_id",    suiteId },
  	};
  	var result = apiClient.SendPost ("add_run/" + projectId, data);
  	return (Dictionary<String, Object>)result;
  }

Hi Jason,

If you are using a self-hosted installation of TestRail, you can simply enable debug logging and see if the requests actually reach TestRail:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-faq/system-debug

Cheers,
Tobias

So it turns out that using HttpWebRequest to make a POST request in Unity3D’s flavor of C# - is completely broken. Strangely, GET works fine.

The solution was to use the WWW class inplace of WebRequest
http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/WWW.html

Thanks, Jason, and good to hear that it works now. We will keep this in mind for a future version of the binding, thanks again!

Cheers,
Tobias