Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How do I customize fields?

Hi,

just installed TR and have a question. How can I customize: test case status (add or rename, change background color of status), priority (add or rename)?

Best regards,
Ulrich

Ok, I’ve browsed the forum and see that customization and “blocked” status are in feature list already. When do you expect these to be implemented? We’re verifying your product and are interested in it now, but I want to be sure it will be getting better and we’ll get some useful changes before we buy it.

Your tool is rather comfortable, but these points are really needed. The tool should be integrated into testing process, not vice versa. )

Hello Ulrich,

TestRail is already prepared to allow the customization of priorities (and also case types). Both fields are already stored in the database and TR does not assume anything about these fields. It’s just that there are currently no pages where you could manage these fields but this is already on our todo list (you can already change them directly in the database: let me know if you want to do this, I’m happy to help; you can also email me at tg at gurock.com).

Things are a bit different for the case status. The available status fields are specifically handled by TestRail and currently hard-coded and not customizable. There have been a few feature requests to change this (or at least to add one/two statuses) and we have already a few ideas on how to do this and would like to see some more flexibility in this area as well. Do you have a concrete status that is missing (e.g. ‘blocked’) or do you just want the general option to change/rename the status values?

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=tgurock]Hello Ulrich,

TestRail is already prepared to allow the customization of priorities (and also case types). Both fields are already stored in the database and TR does not assume anything about these fields. It’s just that there are currently no pages where you could manage these fields but this is already on our todo list (you can already change them directly in the database: let me know if you want to do this, I’m happy to help; you can also email me at tg at gurock.com).

Things are a bit different for the case status. The available status fields are specifically handled by TestRail and currently hard-coded and not customizable. There have been a few feature requests to change this (or at least to add one/two statuses) and we have already a few ideas on how to do this and would like to see some more flexibility in this area as well. Do you have a concrete status that is missing (e.g. ‘blocked’) or do you just want the general option to change/rename the status values?

Regards,
Tobias[/quote]

Thanks for quick answer, “blocked” status would be enough. We’re looking forward to see it implemented.

Hi,

any news on date of implementing “blocked” status?

Thanks.

Ulrich,

Yes, we just posted the roadmap for the upcoming months and the Blocked status is included:

http://blog.gurock.com/postings/testrail-roadmap-2010-q1-q2/1157/

The current plan is to implement it in the upcoming weeks (it requires quite a few changes and will probably require us to consolidate the Retest and normal Add Result dialog into one single dialog, among other changes).

Regards,
Tobias

Many thanks,

one more question: how do I change order of cases in cases list?

Test cases can be reordered/moved via drag+drop. Just drag the icon left to a checkbox and move the case to the desired position.

Regards,
Tobias