Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How can I print a paper test script with results fields?

I’ve been looking for this in the documentation and here, and I see people talking losely about it, but not how to actually do it. I need to print out paper test scripts for multiple testers to complete offline, and then record later.

I also don’t see the options to print my test plan, or test runs, am I missing those somewhere? I don’t even see a test plan anywhere. I know these are newbie questions, but I am heading into my first bug functional testing sprint and need to get this figured out. Any input appreciated!

Found the test plan thing, just need input on the printing paper scripts. I can print the script itself, but I need one with the manual pass/fail and actual results fields.

Hello Bethany,

Thanks for your posting. You can generate full print views of your runs/plans/milestones via the little printer icon when viewing a run/plan/milestone. This doesn’t contain placeholders for actual results but each test is generated on a separate page so this means there is usually plenty of space to add comments and offline results. Would this work for you?

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have already printed the scripts, but am looking for a paper response form. This is something I’ve seen asked about a few times, and while we love being the 21st century and in the system as much as possible, it remains that sometimes testing is done on paper. This would be a very nice option to have for people like me who are in heavily regulated industries that, thanks to the US Government, are still required to maintain physical records of some things.

Hello Bethany,

I would recommend adding the offline results back to TestRail and you can then print detailed reports with all case and result details via the print features directly in TestRail. Many of your customers are in regulated industries and use the print feature for archiving purposes (digitally or by printing them, often including a digital or regular signature). Would this work for you?

Cheers,
Tobias