Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How can I add test cases from a different project to a test run?

Hi!

Quite often lately, I’ve been needing to add test cases from a separate project in the company, to my Test Runs. How can I do this?
Each team maintains / edits their own test cases and handles their own projects as needed within Test Rail, but there’s been some adhoc overlapping that we need to address, and I can’t seem to find an option on the Test Run creation process, to add the tests that I need from outside of my own project.

Thanks!
Lula

Hi Lula,

Thank you for the post. In order to do this you would need to copy/move test cases from the other project into the project your test run/plan is located. Once you do this you would be able to add these test cases to your runs/plans.

Is this feature still not available… including testcases from a different project without copying them to the current project?

Hi Babu,

Thank you for posting! Each project would need to contain it’s own set test cases for test execution at the moment. It is possible for you to simply copy your test cases from one suite/project to another in order to reuse the test cases you have used in other projects. That said, we do agree it would be helpful to be able to have this feature. We already have plans to review adding support for this in a future update and I have added your vote to our existing feature request for this. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a specific timeframe/ETA for this yet.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
John