Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Host environment for TestRail

I’m considering putting TestRail in to a trial run, and I have a couple of questions before I start the 30-day countdown.

1. If I want to integrate with Mantis, does TestRail need to be running on the same system/DB as Mantis?

2. In general, will it work in an VMWare ESX virtual machine?

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your message. Let me answer your questions below:

1. Mantis integration: TestRail doesn’t have to be installed on the same machine. As the integration is done via URLs/links, both tools can be installed on different servers.

2. Yes, TestRail will work in a virtual environment. In fact quite a few of our customers use TestRail in a virtual machine. We recommend dedicated machines for very large installations (50+ users with many requests) but it’s not needed for most installations.

I hope this helps. Just let us know if you have any questions about the installation.

Thanks,
Dennis

Thanks Dennis! That answers my question completely. :smiley:

For the forseeable future, it would be a relatively small install, so I think I’ll give it a shot in a VM.

On that note, if you wanted to make it easier for people to deploy the tool in a VMware environment, you could build a Virtual Appliance (especially since TestRail will run on Linux) that comes essentially ready to go.

Hi Matt,

Yep, a VM will work for almost all installations. Regarding a virtual appliance: we have thought about this before and we will look into this again in the future. We actually planned to offer this but decided to provide a hosted trial instead, as it makes it even easier to evaluate TestRail. But the virtual appliance would also be useful for a production environment as you mentioned and I agree that it would be useful to have this.

Thanks,
Dennis