Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Help: Default values for Results and Defects windows from Test Plan

I would like to to have some custom text fields in Test Plan, which will be used as default values for some fields in Test Results and Test Defects windows, e.g. value from Version field in Test Plan will be automaticaly set to Version field in Test Results window.
It will be nice, specify some field with different values for each user, e.g. value of the Endpoint field in Test Plan will be set in Endpoint filed of Test Results window different for each tester.

Is it possible to do this?
Could you help me with this.

Thanks.

Hi DKim,

Thanks for your posting. This is currently not really supported. If the version is the same for all tests in the run/plan, we can recommend managing the version/release/build on the run & plan level instead. For example, you can use the Milestone field for this or add the build number to the run/plan description. You might also benefit from the new sub-milestone feature which is great for managing smaller/intermediate versions or iterations/sprints:

https://blog.gurock.com/?p=4916

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks, we already assigned our next test plan to the sub-milestone.

Is it possible to create UI Script, which will set values to Test Results fields according to the current tester?
Could you, please, provide some examples, if it is possible.

Thanks.

Hi DKim,

It should be possible to do this but this would require quite a bit of effort to manage the values and user mappings and keep this in sync and also to write the initial UI script. We also wouldn’t recommend implementing such large UI customizations for forward compatibility reasons with future TestRail versions.

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks, for some reason I did not expect, that it will be a large UI script.