Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Generate email when a case i failed

Hey guys

Is there a way I can get a mail sent to a specific recipient when a tester “failes” a case? without using the defect plugin called “email”?

Reason:
My testers most of the times forget to click “Push” by the defect field after creating a failed case.

0 Likes

You want Test Rail to create the email to the tester? If so - have you looked at the “Enable email notifications” in Test Rail (Administration --> Site Settings --> Email.

_Enable email notifications _
Email notifications are sent for test changes and test results. Can also be disabled on a per-user basis via My Settings.

I don’t use the option since I run the tests for my company myself but this is what I would look at if you want en email from Test Rail.

0 Likes

I want an email be sent to another recipient than the tester, and also only when you fail a test, by enabeling email notification I would get to much notifications on stuff I dont need to know.

0 Likes

The email notification is the only option right now I believe. Not sure if I have ever seen a request for this functionality since my company started to use Test Rail.

I would suggest sending in this request as an enhancement to Test Rail. They would not commit to a time frame but at least they would know there is some interest in it.

0 Likes

Yeah I’l do that, thanks for the info.

0 Likes

+1 Vote by me. I would like this feature!

0 Likes

Hello Dan,

Thank you for the post! It is not currently possible to configure the TestRail email notifications to be sent only for failed tests. We are happy to review adding support for this and I have added your vote to our feature request for this. That said, we don’t have a specific timeframe/ETA to provide for this yet.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
John

0 Likes

Hello,

How is this feature coming along? I get people asking if they could only get failure emails and not all possible emails. Automation uploads lots of data, which generates a flood of emails and fails get lost in it.

And where are the TestRail issues to vote on?

u

0 Likes

Hi uliuli,

This is still on our to-do list and while I don’t have a time frame for this, we definitely understand that this would be useful to have and we want to look into this. I appreciate the additional feedback and have added your vote to this feature entry.

Meanwhile, consider using an email filter to look for emails from @gurock.com (or your internal email system using TestRail Server) with keywords that match specifically to the failed tests. Matched emails can either be sorted into folders or highlights depending on your email service and personal preference.

0 Likes