Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Few Questions about Testrail

Hi!

we’re currently evaluating Testrail, and I have a few questions:

1. is it possible to somehow archive, or at least mark as “inactive”, a test suite? we’re looking for something that’ll help us mark obsolete test suites (we want to keep them, but not as regular active suites).

2. how can I delete a test run?

3. reporting: we’re looking for 2 specific reports (or even displays on the dashboard / results tab) - one that’ll display all the defects connected to a specific test run, and onle that’ll compare to test runs of the same suite.
    is that possible? if not - is it planned to be soon?

thanks a lot,
Keshet.

Hello Keshet,

Thanks for your message. I’m happy to answer your questions:

1. There’s currently no way to archive test suites, although you can close (and effectively archive) test runs. I agree that this would be a good feature addition and I’ve added it to our feature request list.

2. To delete a test run (and other entities in TestRail), simply edit it and click the delete link in the sidebar. We didn’t position the delete buttons as prominently as other actions in the UI as it’s not a common thing users usually have to do. Please note that you can also close a test run instead of deleting it.

3. We do have plans to offer both reports and we have received requests for both before. Our plan is to offer a more comprehensive reporting system in the future. Please note that you can already build custom reports by directly accessing TestRail’s database and we might also be able to help with this.

We also already have a custom report that shows all active test runs for a test suite (or project) side-by-side. If this is what you are looking for, please feel free to email me at dg (at) gurock.com and I’m happy to provide you with the necessary details.

Regards,
Dennis