Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature Requests

1. The ability to hide old Test Cases (We dont want to delete)
  2. The ability to move/copy a test case to another test suite
  3. The ability to create a test case / suite for a specific mile stone

Another feature request:

1. The ability to group test cases in a test run.

Thanks for the suggestions, case copying/moving was already on our feature request and I’ve just added the others as well.

I’m just curious, but is there any reason why you want to hide old test cases instead of deleting them? Note that when you close a test run, the contained tests are archived and changes to the related test case have no effect on the archived tests. What this means is that when you delete no longer needed test cases, the tests in closed/archived runs for these test cases are still available and won’t be deleted.

Regards,
Tobias

Well, it might sounds minor but we dont want old test cases showing up in a test suite for a new mile stone.

We are writing test cases for bug fixes along with test cases for new features and functionality.

Once a bug has been fixed and tested we dont want to see that test case in the test suite. But if the bug resurfaces; we want to reuse that test case.

It would be a nice feature to implement “Ctrl + S” to save edits (Milestones, Cases, Runs etc).

Thanks for the explanation. We would probably need an option on the View Test Suite page to show/hide hidden test cases then I guess (much like in the Windows Explorer which can show/hide hidden files and displays hidden files with a different font color).

jburke: I gave an answer in the other topic:

http://www.gurock.com/support/forum/topic/287/saving-shortcuts-features/

[quote=vphothisan]1) The ability to hide old Test Cases (We dont want to delete)
2) The ability to move/copy a test case to another test suite
3) The ability to create a test case / suite for a specific mile stone[/quote]

We’d also like to see 2) Move/Copy to another suite.

This tool is really easy to use & that’s huge advantage. I think that huge benefit would be:

1. Reporting:
    [list=]
    [
    ]allowing users to generate report for each iteration (what tests were executed, what passed, etc) with some graphs[/]
    [
    ]allowing users to generate summary report for project[/*]
    [/list]
  2. Exporting/importing data:
    [list=]
    [
    ]exporting test cases in different formats: csv, html, etc - pretty useful when you want to give test cases to customer[/]
    [
    ]importing test cases in csv format[/*]
    [/list]

dbosart: Re-structuring and copying cases is something we want to add eventually. We are currently improving and reworking the section/cases and are thinking of adding move and copy afterwards.

wojciech: Import and export has a high priority on our TODO list as we understand that most customers already have tons of test cases that must be imported into TestRail.

Regarding reporting, the 1.0 of TestRail probably won’t include extensive reporting (in addition to the information available today in form of the dashboards, activities and runs/plans overview and graphs). But this is definitely something we are also interested in. We already have some good ideas for reporting, print support and related features.

Regards,
Tobias

I would like to echo the request for print support. To me this is the biggest area that TestRail is lacking in. We need some way to pass along to our audience the status of test runs and metrics. Currently there is a lot of manual copying and pasting that must happen to accomplish this.

Also, another area that would be a huge benefit is the ability to have a global Read-Only account that clients/sponsors could look at the project info. This would allow us to work around the printing issue.

Jon

Added another vote to printing/reporting, thanks.

Regarding the guest account, this is definitely something that is on our todo list as part of a more fine-grained and powerful permission and role system.

Another feature request:

[list=]
[
]currently there’s no way to create new test suite that is based on exisitng one - so it is hard to create new test suite that eg. contains only tests with ‘must’ priority test cases - having this feature would be very useful[/]
[/list]
[list=
]
[]admin could be able to define new test case types & setting the default[/]
[/list]
[list=]
[
]admin could be able to modify test cases priorities[/]
[/list]
[list=
]
[]admin can add new fields to test cases[/]
[/list]

Hello,

Do you mean test suite or test run? In case you mean runs, the latest beta contains a new feature for rerunning existing test runs (see the Rerun button when viewing a test run), so that you can re-use existing test selections.

In case you mean test suites, I would appreciate a few more details (e.g. do you want to copy cases or do you want to link them into different suites)? Thanks!

The application is already prepared to support this and I’m sure we will add this eventually. (probably as part of the admin area)

This is already on our feature request list. Custom fields is one of those features that has been asked for quite a few times during the beta. It won’t get into the 1.0 anymore, but has a higher priority on our TODO list. We already have some plans for this feature and it will be added eventually (maybe to the 2.0).

Regards,
Tobias

[quote]tgurock:
In case you mean test suites, I would appreciate a few more details (e.g. do you want to copy cases or do you want to link them into different suites)? Thanks![/quote]

The idea is that, I have to create test suite that have test cases based on test cases from other test suites inside project’s test plan. For now there’s no difference whether they will be copied, or just references will be created. I have to select some subset of basic test cases & create for them test suite.

I also noticed another “issue” - there’s no way to assign non-admin user to a project, so he can have access to other projects. We don’t want testers have access to all projects, but only for selected.

Thanks for the explanation! While this scenario could be accomplished with a separate test suite (and I just added a few items to our feature request list to make this easier), you could also just create different test runs with different test case selections for the same test suite. Test runs can be re-run anytime and the test case selection is remembered when you create a new test run based on an existing one.

Yes, the permission and role system in the 1.0 won’t be so powerful to implement such scenarios. There are currently only ‘users’ and ‘admins’ and you can’t control if a user can only access a certain project or if a user only has read-access etc. Once the 1.0 is out, we want to implement a more fine-grained permission and role system where you can implement all those scenarios, probably directly for the 2.0.

Regards,
Tobias

For us it is one of essential features, we can’t use this tool without basic permissions. Admin should be able to set at least access to projects for users (I mean whether they have / don’t have access). Would it be possible to include this in version 1.0 release?

Permissions probably won’t be included in the 1.0 because we plan to release TestRail in early January and a complete permission system would affect nearly all application modules. We plan to add basic import/export and print features and then publish this version as 1.0 (together with the changes we already added for the next beta which will be available this week).

However, we understand that permissions are important and they have a high priority for us as well. We will starting working on it immediately after releasing the 1.0 in January.

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=wojciech]This tool is really easy to use & that’s huge advantage. I think that huge benefit would be:

1. Reporting:
    [list=]
    [
    ]allowing users to generate report for each iteration (what tests were executed, what passed, etc) with some graphs[/]
    [
    ]allowing users to generate summary report for project[/*]
    [/list]

[/quote]

Echoing support for some additional reporting on the project. Today in particular, the number of tests in the project. I recognize that this is planned for post 1.0; just registering an additional request.

D.