Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature requests: Copy test runs

It would save us a lot of time creating a test run by copying existing test runs and assigning a new milestone and user (and tweak the previously used selection filter as discribed in Feature request: Save filter in Test Run )

Test run creation of regression tests is currently a labourous, recurring task

Hi Jasper,

Thanks for your posting. You can use the Rerun feature on the test run/plan page for this. You can also automatically base the case selection on previous test results:

Have you seen this feature already?

Cheers,
Tobias

I just found iout that a re-run can also be applied to already closed test runs. Thanks.

However, in all copied runs the previously used filter settings are omitted leaving us with the task to manually include new test cases.

Hi Jasper,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the filter settings are currently not stored/restored but the case selection is still the same for reruns if you keep all statuses. If you customize the statuses on the Rerun dialog (e.g. only Failed and Retest), TestRail would calculate a custom selection based on the previous statuses/results. Looking into full filter save/load/restore support is planned and I’m happy to add another vote to this feature request, thanks again!

Cheers,
Tobias

Is it possible to copy the test runs into a different suite? I’m not seeing that option. Re-running adds them to the same suite, but I need to copy the test runs to another suite.

Hi Dawn,

Do you mean test plan instead of suite? A test run can be part of a test plan and you can add as many test run to a plan as you like. Rerunning a plan would duplicate the plan with the same (run) configuration but you can still add/remove runs as needed.

Cheers,
Tobias