Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature Requests: clone projects

Hi, I would like to request for a new feature:

It would be good to add clone projects feature to TestRail as this can be a very useful feature to manage releases and efficiently create projects:

e.g. I have a master copy of the project that has no test run and no milestones defined and for each software release, I want to simple make a clone copy of the master copy and do work on the release clone.
All the new test cases added during the release will also have to be added to the master copy to make sure they are sync’d (not sure if there can be a easier way to “sync” it but for now copy/move is ok).
This is a lot like how SVN’s branching and trunk way of release management.

Currently the only way to create such a project from another project is probably by exporting + importing.

Would you guys please look into it and see if it can be achieved in the near future?

Thanks,

Cheng

Hello Cheng,

Thanks for your posting. I would recommend using the milestone feature of TestRail to keep track of multiple versions/milestones. You can archive test runs for old milestones via the Close feature (the lock icon the toolbar of a test run/test plan) and use the suites as the trunk for your test cases. Closing test runs has the effect that changes are no longer propagated to the test run (e.g. adding new cases to the related test suites).

Would this work for you?

Regards,
Tobias

Hi tgurock,

Thanks for the quick reply and thanks for pointing out the “standard way” of using TestRail :lol:
That totally solved my problem and this will for sure work much better than what I intended to do.

Thanks again,

Cheng

[quote=tgurock]Hello Cheng,

Thanks for your posting. I would recommend using the milestone feature of TestRail to keep track of multiple versions/milestones. You can archive test runs for old milestones via the Close feature (the lock icon the toolbar of a test run/test plan) and use the suites as the trunk for your test cases. Closing test runs has the effect that changes are no longer propagated to the test run (e.g. adding new cases to the related test suites).

Would this work for you?

Regards,
Tobias[/quote]

Hello Cheng,

Thanks for the update and great to hear that this works for you. Just let me know in case there’s anything else I can help with.

Regards,
Tobias