Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature request: Reports that includes duration time

Hi,

I’ve noticed testers can add duration when passing/failing test cases. This number doesn’t seems to be added somewhere. Would be interesting so somehow create a report after a test run/suite is closed to see how much time it took to perform the test.

Best regards,
Michael

Hello,

Yes, I agree that this would be useful and we plan to add this to TestRail. In fact, we plan to use both entered test times and estimates to calculate forecasts for runs, plans and milestones. We expect that we will be able to generate extremely accurate forecasts with this as more and more test times are entered. Of course we will also display how long a test run took to execute.

In the meantime, you can export run data to XML files and calculate reports yourself (the XML files contain the full test time data). I know this isn’t a great workaround, but might be a solution until we add this directly to TestRail.

Thanks,
Dennis

Hi,

That sounds like a great plan! I guess XML is fairly easy to use, could probably write some script that checks the XML files and generate a simpler report. All raw data seems available in the database and through export of files, right?

Best regards,
Michael

Hello Michael,

Yes, the XML files are usually easy to process with most tools/scripting languages. All the timing data is included in the XML files.

Regards,
Dennis