Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature Request - quick edit test case fields

Hello,
Currently, to edit some test case fields like ‘type’, ‘estimate’, etc, you need to open each test case, edit the field, and then save the test case. This is quite slow and painful when you have large number of edits.

It would be great if these fields are editable in the table view (see screenshot)
http://www.diigo.com/item/image/3jza5/3sy5
Thanks

Ali

Hello Ali,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, this is planned and has been requested before. In the meantime, if you are frequently updating many test cases, you could also look into using TestRail’s API for this or the new update feature of the XML import. Since 2.7, TestRail also allows you to update existing test cases with the XML import feature (the workflow would be: export to XML, updating the relevant parts in the XML file, e.g. the type and then importing the file again with the update option checked).

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi there,

Any update on this? I see that fields (at least in the Jira cloud version) are still not editable without editing at the individual test case level. It would relieve a lot of pain to do this at the table/summary level (for both preset and custom fields).

Thanks,
Marci

Hi Marci,

Thank you for your post. Inline editing is something we would very much like to include in a future release of TestRail.

Cheers,
Marty Lavender
Customer Success Team

+1 my vote for this (officially :)).

Hey Marci,

I have gone ahead and added your vote for this.

Cheers,
Marty Lavender
Customer Success Team