Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature Request: Pull precond. text rather than linking to test case

The capability exists to link to preconditions when creating a new test case. The syntax used is [C#] as you are aware. This is a useful feature, especially when there are multiple tests that have the same or similar preconditions.

The problem is that when running a test that has a linked precondition, what is displayed is a link to the test case, rather than just pulling the text from the precondition section of the identified text case. This can be disorienting to testers when they click a link to see preconditions but are taken to an entirely different test case with no obvious way to return back to the test case they originally came from.

I can see either pulling the precondition directly when the test case is displayed, or leaving it as a link that when clicked on shows a popup window with the linked preconditions.

Hello,

We indeed already have the feature request / idea to use a popup hint for the test case links. We would like to add this to a future update and it would work similar to the defect integration look up feature:

I agree that this would be useful to have and we will look into this.

Thanks,
Dennis

I’m sorry - I must admit I didn’t search the forum first before posting this. :confused:

Hello,

Not a problem at all, and it’s okay to post the same feature request twice. We collect all the feedback and add it to our own internal list, so please let the feedback coming. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Dennis