Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature request: provide option to copy test steps (within same testcase)

Currently, I have a lot of teststeps which I would like to copy within same testcase. This is currently not possible in Testrail. Please provide an option as displayed below

Hi Mathijs - thanks for your suggestion. We have this in our list of feature requests and I’ve added your vote.

Cheers,
Simon

Reusing Test Steps

Count me as vote for this feature!
While I would not use it often, there are times where It is easier to create a new test step via copying and modifying an existing one.

Additionally, there are times when I wish I could create a “template” test step that I could use (invoke, call-out, whatever term you like) in multiple places in a test step and/or test cases, but that’s a different feature.

Hi Dan - thanks and I’ll add your vote.

As for template test steps, you’re right - it’s an entirely different feature - but one that is very much on my radar. Stay tuned for further developments in this regard!

Cheers,
Simon

We just started using Test Rail and I would like to see this feature (copying test steps) in future release, although as soon as possible. This will make our life as tester much easier. +1 vote from me for this feature.

Hello swasharma,

Thanks for the post! I’ve add your vote to this feature request.

Regards,
John

Please add my vote as well for this feature.

Thanks,
Hanna

Please add my vote tooo…

What’s the status of this feature?

The template feature would be a huge selling point for me as I shop for a tool for my company. I’ve been playing with PractiTest’s “Call to Test” functionality but it seems clunky and not terribly usable.

To be clear, I want to be able to create a “Master” test case for, example, signing into an app. I then want to base multiple test cases on that “Master” such that if there is a change in one of the steps, I can change it in the Master and that change automatically replicates in all of the test cases based on that Master.

Even better would be allowing me to pick certain steps from a Master and apply them to a new test case.

Hi All,

I’ve added votes for the last few requests of this features. It certainly would be good to have this ability and we appreciate the feedback which helps us prioritize internally, but we do not currently have a target date for this feature release.

Please add my vote too

This will be a huge time saver when you have to copy few test steps which I need very frequently. Please add my vote too.