Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature Request: Page/Limit test results history

Hello,
We have integrated our Bamboo/Jenkins with TestRail. Because we are running multiple builds a day, we are writing a lot of results for each test case. This can easily balloon into thousands of results in a few weeks. At some point, this will probably have a negative impact on usability and performance.

Would it be possible to limit results to some configurable number or maybe only show 10-20 historical results with page 1,2,3… links

Thanks

Ali

Hello Ali,

Thanks for your posting. I’ve added this as a feature request, thank you. This is not normally needed when tracking manual tests (as there are only a few test results usually), but I understand that this may be different for automated tests when you reuse test runs. We will look into it for one of the next versions.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi,

We are seeing this issue too. We run tests multiple times a day and post a lot of information in the comment field for the results so see very slow load times when trying to view the results page. Have also had to update our PHP memory limits as some pages were no longer loading.

Is the feature likely to be added?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hello Jeremy,

Thanks for your feedback on this. It is planned to look into this but we don’t have a time frame for this currently. How many test results do you have per test? You could alternatively look into adding new test runs instead of adding results to the same tests and this is usually the approach we recommend.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for responding. We do multiple tests a day so over a period of months it builds up to a lot of results. Some tests have over 500.

The problem of adding new runs is that you lose the ability to see the results of test case over time. Is there a way to achieve this with multiple runs?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hello Jeremy,

Yes, there is. You can view the results over time for a test case on the Results tab when viewing a test case. This page is even preferred for this use case as it’s not as detailed as the test page and provides the same data at a higher level if you will (which makes it easier to scan and spot interesting results).

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Yes the test case results tab does show the results over time but it includes any test plan the test case is part of to do so. We run the same test cases on different branches simultaneously with each branch having a separate test plan.

I agree that this would work well if you had a single series of test plans, but for us it is difficult to determine which plan the results apply to.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Thanks for the explanation, Jeremy. Yes, I agree that this makes it a bit difficult. We will look into limiting the test results on the test page and/or find other ways to improve this. Thanks for your feedback on this.

Regards,
Tobias