Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature request: More robust email notification + test case comments

As a manager, it would be extremely useful to have a collaborative communications workflow that centered on the development of test cases within TestRail. For example at my organization, we use our engineering issue tracker (Trac) to handle the collaborative “development” of test cases, which means when test cases are being devised or adjusted, I/we have to constantly jump between Trac and TestRail (or sometimes on a Google doc) until a case/section/suite is up to my/our standards.

For us, it would be extremely beneficial to be able to conduct this work directly in TestRail, by immensely streamlining the process of devising and maintaining test cases. Reports and APIs are great, but I think getting/keeping the test cases “right”, and the suites properly structured/organized is the first important step toward having a solid test coverage regime, so it would be great if TestRail could do more to help with this part of the process.

This feature would ideally include an expanded set of rules concerning who receives email notifications, and which events can trigger them. Additionally, similar to the commenting feature on test runs/results, it would be extremely useful (at least for us) to be able to enter comments on test cases themselves (which would be one event that could fire off an email).

For example, as I write this, I have before me a new suite of about 100 test cases organized into 12 sections that I need to review and provide feedback on for an upcoming release. I have commentary related to the organization of the suite/sections, as well as specific adjustments that are needed on individual test cases. I’ll have to now work in Trac, pasting links to relevant sections/cases in TestRail, and/or document my thoughts in the meandering Google doc we have set up for this, and/or schedule a meeting, in order to get this suite where it needs to be - which is inefficient (and a little painful) for all involved.

It would be oh so nice to just run through the suite in TestRail, commenting as needed, and know that the folks who needed to get them would receive a series of emails with marching orders spelled out (like my developers do with Trac for routine tasks).

If there’s already a way to accomplish this…or if folks think we’re just “doing it wrong”, please chime in with suggestions!

Thanks

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for your feedback. It is already planned to look into adding support for separate comments on the test case level exactly for the reasons you’ve mentioned (and similar to how comments for test results work). You can look into adding a separate text-based custom field for this in the meantime as a workaround, but this wouldn’t be as structured as a built-in comment feature. It is also planned to look into extending the notifications to test cases and this is also already on our todo/feature request list.

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions or feedback!

Regards,
Tobias

Sounds great Tobias, I’ll look forward to those upcoming features…then all I’ll need to do is carve out some time to get Trac talking back to TestRail via the API to close the loop on QA<->development iterations (since we rely heavily on the Trac integration and “Push” feature)!

Best,

Stephen

Please let me know in case any questions come up while doing so, we are happy to help if you have any questions about how to use TestRail’s API.

Thanks and have a good week!

Regards,
Tobias

Hi,

Do we have any update on this feature? I looking for this feature.

Regards,
Chai

Hello Chai,

Thanks for your feedback! We currently don’t have an update but it’s still planned to look into this. You can already add a custom field for the comments as a workaround but I understand that having this (+ notifications etc.) as a built-in feature would be better, of course. I’m happy to add another vote to this feature request, thanks again.

Cheers,
Tobias