Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature request: Hierarchical Milestones

Feature request:
Hi. We have Releases and Sprints. It would be much more convenient to have a tree of Releases/Sprints instead of plain list

Hello Konstantin,

Thanks for your posting. We recommend using milestones for releases and test plans for sprints/iterations. You can then easily see the (current) sprints/iterations per release (milestone) on the respective milestones pages.

Regards,
Tobias

Thanks for quick reply!

I just think it is not convenient to use Test Plan for Sprints planning. Because when we create test plan we shall have all test cases created. But when we start worn on Sprint we don’t have test cases yet. So the process is that we create test cases first, setting Milestone, then create Test Plan (or test run), filtering all correct test cases and execute them

Hello Konstantin,

Thanks for your reply. You could still use test plans for this in this case and you can start the test plans with the include-all option for the case selection. New test cases would then automatically be included in the test plan.

It’s also planned to make milestones more flexible (e.g. by adding sub-milestones or full hierarchy support) and I’ve just added another vote to this feature request, thanks!

Regards,
Tobias

I’d just like to add a vote for this feature request. Sub-milestones would be really nice.

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your feedback, happy to add another vote :slightly_smiling:

I can also recommend using test plans as additional organizational unit. For example, many customers use test plans for iterations/sprints and group multiple plans under release milestones.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

The thing is, though, that I’ve already put together 67 test runs. 63 of these fall under the same milestone, but I’d like to further organize them into sub-groups. Test plans would work perfectly for this if there was a way to add existing Test Runs to a new Plan, but unless I’m mistaken (I hope I am) it doesn’t seem like this is possible. The Test Runs I’d like to group together don’t yet have any Test Results, but it’d be a lot of work to re-create them all…

Cheers,
Chris

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your feedback! Moving existing test runs to a plan is not possible but the idea of using plans as additional organizational unit might still be helpful for the future I hope. We are also happy to look into adding support for milestone hierarchies for a future version (just added another vote, thanks!).

Cheers,
Tobias

Providing sub-milestone will be indeed a very useful feature. My client team and us both are sharing milestones but both the team also have their internal milestones - which is not easy to managed using Test Plan / Run.

It has been long since this discussion has started, is this placed in any near future release?

Thank you,
Anand

Thanks for your feedback, Anand! This is actually on our short-term list and I’m happy to add another vote. We can recommend using test plan as additional organizational unit and this is often used for sprints/iterations, for example (to group related test runs).

Cheers,
Tobias

Thank you.

Currently we are trying in the same way but managing two teams in same milestone as you suggested is little bit difficult.

Hope to see this feature soon.

Thank you,
Anand

Thanks, Anand. Happy to look into this and I added the vote to the list :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias