Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature request: format xml file before export

When exporting an test to XML, the resulting XML is not formatted/pretty-printed. trying to make sense of it in notepad it quite had and I have to resort to some online tool to format the layout.

Can the file be automatically formatted upon export? Seems like a simple enough fix.

Thanks

Ali

Hello Ali,

Thanks for your posting. Pretty-printing the XML on TestRail’s side would be possible but this is currently not planned to be honest. One reason for this is performance as this would require a post-processing step on TestRail’s side and this would definitely impact the export performance (e.g., when exporting a large milestone). If this is important for you, it should actually be possible to post-process the XML and run it through a pretty-printer yourself.

Another alternative would be to look into an XML editor which should display the XML in a much useful way when compared to Notepad and should also have good support for search & replace (XPath etc.). If you are just looking for a good way to take a look at the XML, you can also Internet Explorer as viewer which works quite well.

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias