Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature Request: Folders to organize Test Suites

We are growing our Test Suites in a certain project. I t would be great to have a high-level of organization for Test Suites, aka folders. Use cases might be all Regression suites in one folder, Ad-hoc/acceptance testing in another etc. I can see the long list of Test suites in a project quickly getting unwieldy.

Creating a new project is not an option, for this. Just need a simply additional hierarchal mechanism to manage test suites.

-Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your posting and feedback. We would usually recommend going into the opposite direction and this can even mean fewer test suites. Since TestRail 4.0, new projects now use a single large case repository (test suite) and you would structure your cases with regular sections/folders instead of test suites (similar to how you would organize files and directories on disk). We found that this has many advantages when it comes to creating reports or test runs/plans for the entire case repository and this is now the default mode for new projects and TestRail installations. Have you already looked into this option?

Cheers,
Tobias

Yes, I realize we can do this, but we are using our current project with multiple suites, which makes sense the way we structure our organization.

I still would like to see the ability to organize test suites into folders, even only 1-level deep.

-Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your feedback. You could look into adding the same prefix to all test suites that belong to the same group/folder and this would automatically order your suites. Would this work for you?

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi. I just want to say that I love TestRail and that it is the best test management tool I’ve ever seen/used. Worlds above the more complex clunky systems that are out there. However, there are little things like this that are missing that are huge annoyances. And the work arounds from the GuRock team of “well maybe you should just do things the way we want you to do them” or “just add a string prefix to your test case names to keep them together” instead of acknowledging that this is an issue and committing to adding the feature (its been 1.5 years since the last post to this feature request…) is a huge turn off for me. One of the reasons I hate a company like Atlassian is because they refuse to tackle the little things that customers request that would improve the customer UX significantly. It’s responses like this that make GuRock seem more like Atlassian than a team of folks committed to delivering a rock start product.

Unfortunately we can’t use a single test suite for all tests, since we’re very keen on providing a clear separation between test suites build/run via our automation platform and those that are run manually. This is a huge deal, and I can’t imagine I’m the only one who thinks this. With our automation and manual tests we end up with what could be up to 20 different tests suites containing a total of over 5000 test cases which are executed in specific ways. Some become obsolete after awhile and need to be deleted since the clog up so much space on the Test Suites tab. We’d really like the ability to organize our test cases in a loosely associated folder structure so we can have clear focus on what is important at any given time.

I apologize for the rough words here but I’m immensely frustrated by products that skip the small stuff. TestRail is SO close to being the perfect test management tool for my team.