Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature Request: Find & Replace text for testcases

Find and Replace text functionality for testcases within the current testsuite would be extremely timesaving. (and I’m sure for projects as a whole – e.g. When the name of a character changes, and all references to that name need to be updated)

+1

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. We’ve got this request before and it’s already on our list of things to look into. That said, it’s not on our short term list currently (because we’ve only got a few requests for this feature so far) but we may look into again in the future. Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards,
Tobias

Hi
Would definately use this if it was a feature in testrail.
Ideally would like to search by project for all matching text, with the ability to replace it too
Thanks!

Hello Clair,

Thanks for your posting. I’ve added another vote to this feature request and we will make sure to consider it for a future version.

Thanks again and please let me know in case you have any further suggestions or feature requests.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi,

Thanks for Testrail 4.0! It brings several awesome feature which I’m sure we will love. On the other hand, Find & Replace is still missing. It made us a bit disappointed since it would be a frequently used feature in our team.
To tell the truth, if I have to replace something I export everything to XML, make the change to it, and import the file to Testrail. It’s not simply inconvenient but also dangerous when someone else is working on the same project. (potential data loss)
I would appreciate an ETA if possible.

Regards,
Jozsef

Hello Jozsef,

Thanks for your posting and great to hear that you like the new version. Find & replace is not yet supported and we are happy to look into this for a future update. We haven’t received this feature request very often in the past so it can take some time until we will get to it but we will definitely make sure to look into this though.

Do you frequently need to change test case titles or other properties where you would benefit from such a feature? Would it maybe also be possible from your side to use TestRail’s API for this?

Regards,
Tobias

Sure, using TestRail’s API is a possible solution and we are considering to do this.
Our test documentation is a living document. We need to apply minor and major modifications to it from time to time.

I would like something like this as well where it also wouldn’t be destructive to the remaining text. For instance in Preconds, I need to change something in several test cases but only that specific text, I can’t do that with the current bulk editing feature as it will wipe everything else out. Would be nice to see at some point.

Hello Jozsef, Michael,

Thanks for your additional feedback, that’s appreciated. We will make sure to look into this and the API should be a good solution/workaround in the meantime (please let me know in case you have any questions about how to use it).

Regards,
Tobias

I am constantly tweaking cases when requirements change or the design changes (UI stuff, etc) to where this could be a nice feature to have.

Mike

Hello, I found this thread, and would like to add another request to a Find & Replace text functionality across test cases (and possibly test suites, maybe an option?).

As one example where it would useful, we’ve found that when button text changes, it would be much easier to update the text across test cases using find/replace. Right now, we must open each test case that references that button and update the text manually, which is not as efficient. Our localization tests would benefit greatly from this type of find/replace functionality, for sure.

We have installed TestRail 4.0, and really enjoy the new features, so thank you for that!

Added another vote, thanks! Also great to hear that you enjoy the 4.0, your feedback is really appreciated.

Regards,
Tobias

Another vote for this feature!

Testrail 4.0 made it easier to mass update test cases when there are changes, but there are still many cases where it is hard to do so, such as with titles or when text varies between cases. I’d consider find/replace very helpful for these cases.

Added another vote, thanks. This feature request starts to become really popular. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Tobias

I’m also in need for the requested feature. with one exception:
This is not the best solution to the situation.

The problem we face when maintaining TC’s over time is that we need capability to update multiple TC’s in ease and peace of mind.

In one word: Inheritance

I’ve added another vote to this request, thanks! You can use the new bulk-edit feature to update multiple test cases but this currently wouldn’t include find & replace for text fields, for example:

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=assafb]The problem we face when maintaining TC’s over time is that we need capability to update multiple TC’s in ease and peace of mind.

In one word: Inheritance[/quote]

You can bug gurock about it via this topic: http://forum.gurock.com/topic/745/feature-request-test-case-instancinginheritance/ :stuck_out_tongue:

At the company I work for we usually use “library cases” and write test cases in the style:

a. Identify fitting criteria according to following case: [C1]
b. Navigate to identified according to following case: [C2]
c. Execute the following case on : [C3]

With C1, C2, and C3 being library cases. This way we can update these library cases and effectively update this information for all linked cases, invoking somewhat pseudo-inheritance. Also recently one of our qa automation devs wrote a script to expand these linked cases in place, which became even more helpful.

Unfortunately we still con’t pass steps in linked cases… but it’s better than nothing.

Thanks for your feedback on this! Yes, this is also something we can recommend for reusing test cases or snippets/parts of test cases. It’s already planned to offer a simpler way to do this in TestRail but the workaround of referencing other test cases works also well.

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=KJI][quote=assafb]The problem we face when maintaining TC’s over time is that we need capability to update multiple TC’s in ease and peace of mind.

In one word: Inheritance[/quote]

You can bug gurock about it via this topic: http://forum.gurock.com/topic/745/feature-request-test-case-instancinginheritance/ :stuck_out_tongue:

At the company I work for we usually use “library cases” and write test cases in the style:

a. Identify fitting criteria according to following case: [C1]
b. Navigate to identified according to following case: [C2]
c. Execute the following case on : [C3]

With C1, C2, and C3 being library cases. This way we can update these library cases and effectively update this information for all linked cases, invoking somewhat pseudo-inheritance. Also recently one of our qa automation devs wrote a script to expand these linked cases in place, which became even more helpful.

Unfortunately we still con’t pass steps in linked cases… but it’s better than nothing.[/quote]

Cool, this is what i’v also been doing as a solution for my requirement