Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature Request: Enable partial seconds for elapsed time

I have a lot of unit tests and automated tests where the execute time is reported in milliseconds. I can convert the elapsed time to seconds (e.g. 1579ms -> 1.579s) before I add the result to TestRail. However, the Elapsed time field does not allow for partial seconds. If I add 1.579s to the Elapsed time field when adding a test result, TestRail sets the elapsed time to 9m 39s. Can the Elapsed time field be updated to allow partial seconds to be added?

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. TestRail currently doesn’t support milliseconds or fractions of a second and I would recommend rounding to the nearest second instead. It’s already planned to look into this millisecond support (especially useful for automated tests) and we already had this on our feature request list.

Regards,
Tobias

Hello.

Is there a time frame for supporting milliseconds? While seconds are good enough for manual testing any kind of automated testing requires miliseconds. Please bump this feature up on your priority list.

Thanks!

Sam

Hi Sam,

You could also create a separate custom field for milliseconds in the meantime and this would work very well (e.g. the Integer type).

Hi.

My understanding is that test rail has a built in way of tracking the “elapsed time” field. If I create a custom field would it be easy to create a graph to track progress?

Thanks!

Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply. The statistics in TestRail that are based on the estimates (such as the progress and forecast features) would only work with the built-in Estimate fields. You could, however, simply use both fields: built-in Estimate field (rounded to seconds) and another custom field with millisecond precision for the actual runtime. Would this work for you?

Regards,
Tobias