Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feature request: better referencing to other test cases

Hello,

it would be really helpful:
[list=]
[
]caption (title) of the reference set to the name of referenced test case[/]
[
]link references to other test cases (links named [C#]) in test runs to test case in current test run, not to test case in test suite[/]
[
]indicate the result of referenced test case in current test run, for example red text color for failed test case or something like that[/*]
[/list]

Hello,

Thanks for your message and for the suggestions. Let me address your points below:

[list=]
[
]Test case title in links: I’ve added this as a suggestion and we will look into it. I agree that this would be nice to have.[/]
[
]Links for test runs to tests instead of test cases: we have this suggestion in our feature request list already and we will consider this for a future release. Showing both links to the test case and to the relevant test would likely work best (either via a dropdown or by showing both links side by side).[/]
[
]Coloring links according to test status: also a useful suggestion and this could be integrated well with the above suggestions.[/*]
[/list]

We will make sure to consider the suggestions for a future update. Thanks and please let us know if you have any further suggestions or feedback.

Regards,
Dennis

+1 for this request. Jira does this really nicely with linked issues, and would be nice in TestRail as well :slight_smile:

Thanks for the additional feedback Tony, I’ve added an additional comment to the feature request. I understand that this would be useful and we had multiple requests for this so far and we will look into it.

Thanks!

Regards,
Dennis

+1 for the enhancement. I often create more than 1 test case link at a time and getting the test case reference for a test run (+colored) would be really helpful if it was implemented.

Hope to see this soon in Testrail ! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback Louis, I agree that this would be useful to have and we will look into this.

Regards,
Dennis

Have any of the aforementioned requests been implemented? I would like to reference test cases but use my own title, i.e. [C# shortDescription]

Hello,

That’s not yet implemented but it’s still on our list of things to look into. The next version (2.7) is already feature-complete but we will look into again for one of the next versions.

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions or feedback.

Regards,
Tobias