We are testing a quite complex product which includes many models and permutations possible.
As a result, many mandatory custom fields were added for better traceability.
Example of collected information: system model, load average, number of background tasks, exact build number, certain aspects of configuration (drive size, number of cores, etc. etc.)
We have means of collecting the necessary information from multiple sources, including shell scripts, REST API queries etc. As for now, we have a single shell function which collects all the information and presents it in a human-readable way - just to copy and paste it into the appropriate custom fields
The overhead, obviously, is quote serious.
What we are looking for is:
- Add an auto-fill button in test result dialog
- Pressing the button would trigger a dialog asking for a certain value (system IP address/hostname) and then execute a local shell script
- Script returns output in any desired format (JSON, CSV whatever) and the system fills appropriate fields with the values.
The assumptions are:
- The script may be run either locally on a workstation or
- The script may be run on external machine, TestRail server should trigger the script by SSH to that machine
- Better off if it could be implemented on server side, since client could theoretically unable to connect to target system (e.g. VPN)
- Script could be triggered also after updating a certain result field (system name)
This is my first post, sorry if it is too long. Appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance!