Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

[Feature Request] Appending to Conflicting Fields While Bulk Editing

I’m often bulk editing test cases with conflicting values in a certain field. At that point “[various]” appears like in the following screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/dq9nZYCBW. The only possibility offered is to overwrite all of these fields or leave them all as is.

However, I usually don’t care what’s already there, and want to add new information to all of these cases regardless. My only option here is to figure out which cases have consistent values in this field and edit only those at the same time.

Preferably, I’d like the ability to choose between adding more content after “[various]” and having it appended to all these cases, or deleting the “[various]” and having the existing content replaced for all these cases.

Hello,

Thanks for your posting and the suggestion. Appending text is currently not supported with bulk-edit feature but I’ve added it to our todo list. Do you need this for a specific field (such as the separated steps) or for all text/complex fields?

Regards,
Tobias

I mainly wish it was there for the preconditions.

My preconditions often look something like this (assume 16 test cases): 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D; 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D; 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D; 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D.
Where 1-4 are 4 different types of precondition lines, and A-D are 4 different types of precondition lines. In this case it’d be 8 bulk updates with appending instead of 4 bulk updates + 16 updates.

Then I might remember I forgot one line I needed in all of them. This would be 1 additional update with appending vs. 16.

I can imagine it might be helpful for all fields though.

Thanks Tobias!

Thanks for the additional details, that’s appreciated. I think this is a very specific use case but I see why this can be useful to have (also for other users). I’ve added this to our feature request list, thank you!

Regards,
Tobias