Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Feat. Req.: Organisation of Suites (and Project list)

Currently, the Project Dashboard and the Test Suite views are sorted alphabetically.
But for example, we wish a suite “Non functional properties” to be listed at bottom, not somewhere in between of the functional test suites.
More important, this order does not reflect a typical organisation of a project, since several suites belong to a bigger module/part of the project (or cover a different test approach). Right now, they are mixed somehow (as a result of alphabetical sorting).

A solution could be, to allow for manual sorting of the suites, for instance to move them up/downwards via drag&drop.
Our current work-around is to add chapter/section numbers as a prefix to each suite title.
But as soon as a new section has to be inserted, it feels like Basic programming, where line numbers had to be renumbered (and e.g. “5.10 xxx” is sorted before “5.1 xxx”.)

Furthermore, a hierarchical organisation of suites (introducing sections) would be very appreciated. I know that suites can be viewed in compact mode. But this is not sufficient for us (and I saw a similar request “Hierarchy for Test Suites” going in the same direction).

The suite sorting issue is the same for the project view (although our line-numbering work-around seems to be ok for that; albeit it looks a bit distorted ;).

Despite this, very great tool; keep up the good work!

Hello Milan,

Thanks for your feedback! We recommend using just a few test suites per project and using sections inside the test suites to organize/group most of your test cases. You can freely change the order and hierarchy of sections inside a test suite. I understand that a more advanced test suite handling would also come in handy in some situations and this is also already on our feature request list. How many test suites, sections and test cases do you have in a typical project?

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Right now, we have 9 projects, where some TestRail-projects already cover the same company-project (split by different/independent test types). I expect another 10-20 projects within the next year.
For some of these projects the test cases are few, but each being more complex (e.g. an endurance test, which checks several things at once). There, TestRail is more than sufficient.
But one project (which I do not like to split in further sub-projects) now already has 700 test cases (where test cases are “simple”, but many). With that project we started 2-3 months ago. So the test case numbers should increase by factor 5-8 within 1-2 years.

Regarding my request:
If I wrap several parts of the project in one “enveloping” suite, then I would have to find a good title for that envelope. And there is my problem: There are many things that do not belong together logically. Searching for something (in that case, a section) would always be guessing what (enveloping) suite I put it in. That’s why I favor more suites than sub-sections.

One further advantage comes from the suite-view: In a test-plan, at any time, one can easily see (without creating a report) the pass-ratio of the given suites via the nice bar charts. A view that you don’t have for sections, when diving into a suite. (And it would overkill the sections view, when adding bar charts to the sections.)

All in all, I would favor using more suites, and featuring some means for organising these (the way suggested in my initial post). Of course, this is nothing crucial, just on a wish list :slight_smile:

Thanks and nice weekend,
Milan

Hello Milan,

Thanks for your additional feedback on this. It is planned to redesign some aspects of the test suite page and we would also like to make the sections more flexible/powerful in general (with regards to reporting, selection when creating test runs, and more). We still recommend using just a few test suites per project but if using more test suites works well for you, that’s also fine of course. We will think about ways to make both approaches more flexible/powerful for one of the next larger updates.

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=tgurock]Hello Milan,

Thanks for your additional feedback on this. It is planned to redesign some aspects of the test suite page and we would also like to make the sections more flexible/powerful in general (with regards to reporting, selection when creating test runs, and more). We still recommend using just a few test suites per project but if using more test suites works well for you, that’s also fine of course. We will think about ways to make both approaches more flexible/powerful for one of the next larger updates.

Regards,
Tobias[/quote]

Per this note about sections being more flexible/powerful in general, is there is timeline (Q2/Q3/Q4 2014) of when this redesign would be applied to a production version of TestRail?

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. We don’t have an expected release date for this version at this point unfortunately, I hope you understand.

Regards,
Tobias

Ok, thanks for replying.