Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Fail to assign a multi-select custom field to projects

Hi,

I am trying to create a customized multi-select field named Tag for our test cases and was able to create the field, however, would fail when try to assign all or selected projects with the following error: “Invalid or incomplete options. Please enter all required fields and check the format of your options”.

I am able to isolate this is a multi-select issue by creating in contrast a custom Text field or String field and assigning projects just fine.

In consequence, custom field type multi-select is unusable for us because it doesn’t appear in Test case fields.

We are using Test Rail version 5.1.0.3413.

Your assistance is appreciative.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your post! This just indicates that the option values you’ve entered on the ‘Options’ tab of the field settings are in the incorrect/invalid format. Can you also provide a screenshot of the ‘Options’ tab so we can have a look and point you in the right direction? You can also send the screenshot to us directly via email at contact@gurock.com if this contains any data you wouldn’t want to show publicly. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco

Thank you for your reply Marco! Sorry for the delay to response because i wasn’t notified (will look into it).

It turns out it was maybe a permission issue (?) or something has been resolved on our end. Prior, I wasn’t able to edit the field Items in tab Options, but something was resolved the past few days that enable me to do that. I am able to add a multi-selected field now with the hints from your post. So this issue is resolved for us.

My next question, is there a limit to the tag items for a multi-select field?

Thank you for your help!

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you were able to get the field working! There currently wouldn’t be a limit imposed by TestRail to the number of options available within the multi-select field. So you would be able to add as many options as needed here. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco