Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Exporting test run truncates some test steps

Hello,

I am seeing truncated information in my test runs when exported. I am wondering if there is a bug I am wrestling with and if anyone else has noticed the same thing.

For example, I have the following Test (T15975) defined - this is how my test steps show up in TestRail:

• Install the modem and verify installation is successful.
  • Verify in element management system that modem information is there and includes modem name, FW version, group.
  • Verify that a PC connected to modem can ping/surf.

And here’s how it shows up after exporting to Excel format:

• Install the modem and verify installation is successful.
  • Verify in element management system that modem information is there and includes modem name, FW version, group.
  • Verify that a PC connected to

As you can see, the last step is missing the last part. This happens to some other tests as well and when doing the export multiple times, it always seems to affect the same tests. Why are some tests being truncated when exporting?

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for your posting. I believe Excel has a maximum limit of characters it will show (by default) in a cell but you can open the CSV file in a regular text editor and will see that TestRail actually exports the full steps. Can you confirm this?

Cheers,
Tobias

Yes, that is what is happening. What’s confusing is that Excel is properly showing all test steps for much longer tests. Any idea why Excel decides to limit some cells and not others? … and how to get around it? :smile:

Hi Jeff,

These are some of the mysteries of Excel I guess :slight_smile: I’m not sure if this limit is configurable (I believe it’s not) but Excel may usually support up to ~32000 characters per cell (I guess this varies per Excel version):

This may also be caused by some escape/invisible characters in the test case texts that can be added by copying&pasting texts from other applications. Microsoft Word is known to add those characters but I guess that Excel would handle them fine (I could be wrong). Could you check if you see a different behavior if you add a new case with random text that is not copied from another application such as Word?

Cheers,
Tobias

I don’t typically write my testcases in Word. I write them in Notepad++ and then copy/paste into the Edit view of a given test case in TestRail. But I’ll investigate further and see if I can clean these up. Damn you, Microsoft!! :-0

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the additional details! :slight_smile: We will make sure to review this again for a future version on our side as well and thanks for bringing this up.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Gurock team,

I exported some testcases from Testrail to Excel today, for few testcases some text is getting truncated.

I opened the truncated text testcase (in edit mode) at Testrail and noticed a symbol "- " is added at start of line. I removed the this hypen "- " symbol from testcase, saved the change and re-exported the testcases into Excel.

This time the testcase was exported without text truncation.

Please confirm if this is a known issue? or when we can expect a fix for it? Thank You!