Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Exporting test cases with images in TestRail cloud

I have looked through the forums and also the user guides but cannot find an answer to my question:

We need to export test cases from one TestRail cloud instance to another; is that possible?

I looked at triggering an export of the database in one instance but can’t find a way of importing it to the new one. XML export does not retain the image files.

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy,

Screenshots and attachments are included in the export/dump on Administration > Subscription but this is meant to restore a full TestRail instance and not for merging two TestRail instances. In this case, we would recommend the XML export/import and then re-adding the screenshots/attachments to the imported cases (from the Administration > Subscription export/dump).

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for getting back to me. If I wanted to go down the route of
exporting the database dump from one instance, how would I import that
using TestRail cloud?

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy,

Creating a dump/export and importing this into another TestRail Cloud instance would essentially duplicate the instance (an exact copy). Is this what you are looking for? If so, we can help with this and can you please send a quick email to our help desk at contact@gurock.com?

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I think that’s what we need to do. Here’s how we arrived at this situation:

I requested a free trial under my personal email address to test out TestRail for its suitability (INSTANCE1).
We put in a number of test cases including screenshots into this instance
Following the successful trial we opened another free trial using corporate email (INSTANCE2)
We wish to migrate everything we have done from INSTANCE1 to INSTANCE2

Would you be able to assist?

Best wishes,
Andy

Thanks, Andy, makes sense. We can simply rename INSTANCE1 to INSTANCE2 (and INSTANCE2 to something else) so you can keep using the same data but with a different address and this would be the best approach in this case. Can you contact us at contact@gurock.com and let us know the two addresses so we can change them accordingly?

Cheers,
Tobias

Export backup without restore feature does’nt seem usefull…
After trial expiration, there should be a way to export all tests cases like in xml format to be able to reimport it later.
Or add a way to restore testcases from the backup exported.

Thanks
Robert