Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Exploratory Session setup failed

Hi,

I am trying to setup customisations needed for Exploratory Session testing. The two new fields i want to create are goals and mission. But, the creation of these fields is going on since a week and this action doesn’t finish. It is going on and on and the fields are still not created.
Please help.

Thank you,
Sanat.
@sanatmisra

Attaching screenshot.
This action cannot be stopped and doesn’t finish.
It is blocking us from setting up Exploratory Session based testing.
Please let me know if I can provide any more information.

Thank you,
@sanatmisra

Hi Sanat,

Thanks for your posting. The issue is likely that you haven’t activated TestRail’s background task on the server yet. The background task is mostly responsible for computing TestRail’s reports as well as processing email notifications but also for adding custom fields in the background.

You can verify the status of the background task under Administration > Overview. You can learn more about activating the background task here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-admin/howto-background-task

You can also clear the email queue before activating the background task via the little link on the administration overview page, next to the queue background task’s status (this prevents any queued emails to be processed, which could be hundreds of emails or more).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

We have activated the background tasks already but this still happens. And also I don’t have any little link on the administration overview page, next to the queue background task’s status to clear the queue. Could you help me with that?

Best Regards,
Sanat.

Hi Sanat,

You have 0 messages in the queue so the option to clear it is not available so that’s fine. Regarding the background task: it seems the background task is working and is triggered just fine. There can be multiple reasons why the custom fields are not added. It could just be that the adding takes a lot of time because your database is very large and you may check this again in a few hours. You could also check the database logs to see if there are any active queries running to add a new column to the cases table. It could also be that the adding of the new columns failed for some reason (on the database level) and your database should be able to help here as well.

Cheers,
Tobias