Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Execution reports for BDD Features/Scenarios

I would like to customize existing test cases format to cater BDD Feature/Scenarios way. My idea is to have current test name as feature name and respective scenarios inside it as steps.

With this approach, when I generate a execution report - I get whether feature is passed or not. But, my requirement is to get no of scenarios passed under each feature rather than overall features status.

I’m not sure how to do this as status of required steps should be considered when generating the report. Can you help?

PS: Currently, these scenarios are not integrated with automation scripts and hence this would be manual for time being

0 Likes

@tgurock @dgurock - can you have a look?

0 Likes

Neither of them are with the company as of last year.

0 Likes

Hi there,

Thanks for the post. As BGanger mentioned, the Gurock brothers are no longer working on TestRail, but we do have a full support team that is happy to assist.

The best way to generate an execution report for the type of set up you’re using would be to use the Print option when viewing the test run in the top menu bar. This will print out a full list of all included test cases along with all results that have been recorded, and you will have an option to create an outline or detailed report, which would include all steps and their respective recorded results as well. The print option does not set up a traditional report as you would find in the reports section of a project, but you can print the report to a PDF for external reference and sharing.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

0 Likes

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your response. This print option works like the regular print workflows which we do with any document and also I’m not sure whether it gives the right status on passed/failed as this too reads the overall test status.

Is there a possibility to include customized reports into the workflow like customized fields?

Regards,
Sai Akella

0 Likes

Hi Sai,

I think you need to push the Feature one level higher into a section. And then test cases are representing scenarios.

Best Regards
Steffen

0 Likes

Hi Slehr,

How about Scenario Outline, where each row under the examples table represent a test?

Regards,
Sai Akella

0 Likes

Hi Sai,

if you find a way to report each executed example as a test step, then you will be able to see this passed or failed.

0 Likes