Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Estimate time always consider as seconds after version 4.2?

Hi,

I found that the estimate always be consider as seconds after version 4.2.
I got 5s after I import a case with estimate with value “5m”.

Please help to check it.

Thanks.

Alston

How is it being imported? Editing the field manually gives the correct results in 4.1 and 4.2 for our self hosted install.

Import via xml.

here is one example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<sections>
<section>
<name>02. ML</name>
<sections>
<section>
<name>English</name>
<sections>
<section>
<name>Login</name>
<sections>
<section>
<name>Language</name>
<cases>
<case>
<title>選擇語言 English 後登入</title>
<type>Other</type>
<priority></priority>
<custom>
<preconds></preconds>
<steps>1. Log in in English.
2. Check UI.</steps>
<expected>選擇語言後及登入後, 頁面內都正確顯示英文.</expected>
<nvr_type>
<item>
<id>2</id>
<value>f</value>
</item>
</nvr_type>
</custom>
<estimate>3m</estimate>
<references></references>
</case>
</cases>
</section>
</sections>
</section>
</sections>
</section>
</sections>
</section>
</sections>

the estimate is 3m but I got 3s after import this file.
Thanks.

Alston

I exported a suite to XML on our install and looked at the Estimate to see what TR used when exporting and indeed - it uses seconds when exporting so it would do that when importing.

Not sure what the reason is unless the field is not defined to read d, m , s etc… for the estimate field.

EDIT - the field int he table is defined as an Int - even though you can type in 1d 5h (13 work hours) - the time in the table is recorded as 46800. So the field can’t deal with any other character other than a number.

in 4.1, when I import with xml with only number in estimate, it will consider it as minutes
(so this would be a problem if you export and then import again and again, your estimate will become biger and biger)
And I can use the 1d, 1h, 1m, 1s in the field of estimate without problem.

But now in 4.2, I think they fixed problem above, export and import all consider as second.
But I can not use 1d, 1h, 1m, any more?

Alston

“And I can use the 1d, 1h, 1m, 1s in the field of estimate without problem.”

You can do the above in TR because the system converts the 1d to seconds in the table - it is not stored as 1d but as 28800 (1d = 8 work hours).

“But I can not use 1d, 1h, 1m, any more?”

You can directly in TR but apparently not with the import process.

Hi all!

TestRail 4.1 had an issue with the XML feature importing timespan/estimate values incorrectly. We added support for the timespan format (1m, 1h, etc.) while redesigning the import a bit in general. This also switched the default behavior for numeric values (to minutes instead of seconds) and we reverted this behavior with 4.2 (which now has the same behavior as previous versions).

Regards,
Tobias

So, currently the numeric values would be consider as seconds and the format (1m, 1h, etc.)is not support now?

Is this correct?
Thanks.

Alston

The import/export only does seconds - 1d can be used in the Test Case screen UI itself and the system will convert to seconds. The UI will convert the seconds in the Estimate field to the correct day/hour value.

If you enter 14400 in the UI, then the UI will display 4 hours.