Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Error on Push to JIRA

Hello we have cloud JIRA and cloud TestRail. Yesterday I configured the new JIRA / TestRail integration.

Now my testers are unable to Push isues to JIRA. One (non admin) user gets “Error Plugin “Jira_REST” returned an error: Proxy CONNECT aborted due to timeout”.

When I try to push I get: “Error Plugin “Jira_REST” returned an error: Invalid user or password or insufficient permissions for the integration user (HTTP code 401). Please make sure to use your actual JIRA username for the integration (not your email address, for example).”

I’ve checked, and I’m not using an email address.

TestRail version 5

Any thoughts or help on this? We are stuck.

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your posting. The Proxy CONNECT timeout is very likely due to a misconfigured JIRA URL. If you use the global configuration under Administration > Integration, please make sure that you don’t override the configuration for one of your projects (with an invalid JIRA address). As you see a different error than your colleague, it’s likely that the integration is also configured for at least one project.

The 401 error is an authentication error and is caused by an invalid JIRA username or password. Do you use defect variables for the integration? If so, could you please try the integration without these variables?

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias

None of our TestRail Projects have anything set up in Defects / References - so as I understand it everything is driven from Administration > Integration.

To configure all I did was
a) click the Configure JIRA Integration button
b) paste in the url: https://trademaster.atlassian.net/
c) enter my user id: BDunn
d) enter my password.

I’ve tested my ID and password on JIRA and I can log into JIRA with those credentails no problem.

I don’t know what defect variables are or how to check if we use them.

What next?

Here is my integration… I’ve re-entered the ID/PW several time to be sure there are no typos and I can’t push and issue to JIRA.

UPDATE here is what I’ve found:

In TestRail, go to My settings > Settings and REMOVE the id and password - my testers can now push issues to JIRA because it is using the default ID/PW set up in Administration > Integration. The only problem is the issues are associated to the individual testers like we want them.

In TestRail, go to My settings > Have my tester add their JIRA id and password - error:

Plugin “Jira_REST” returned an error: Invalid user or password or insufficient permissions for the integration user (HTTP code 401). Please make sure to use your actual JIRA username for the integration (not your email address, for example).

So it seems either JIRA is not accepting a valid ID & PW or TestRail is not passing the ID/PW correctly. Can we have some help looking into this?

Hello there,

JIRA refuses API calls with 401 for two reasons usually:

• Either the username/password is wrong
  • The configured user doesn’t have the correct permissions in JIRA (e.g. the get a list of assignable users from JIRA; this is a common issue)

We can simply activate logging in your TestRail instance to see why JIRA returns this error. Can you please send us a quick email to contact@gurock.com with your TestRail domain name so we can enable logging and see what the issue is after you reproduced this? This would only take a few minutes.

Thanks!

Looks like we found the magic combination… I had to add all my testers to the jira_developers group (not yet 100% sure if that is the right thing to do or not). My testers were NOT a part of jira_developers prior to 5.0 / Jira Integration setup and were pushing issues with no problem.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the update and good to hear that it works now! The jira_developers group is a JIRA-specific thing but this could definitely be related to a 403 or 401 error. It’s important that JIRA users have the required permissions to add JIRA issues to use the Push feature and the permissions depend on the JIRA configuration and project access (per user).

Regards,
Tobias

I am encountering this same issue. Rather than cloud up this thread with my specific details, I will create a new issue with the same title. Regards, Jeff