Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Entirely new instance of TestRail?

Hi everyone:

I’m new at a company where we’re doing tons of mobile testing on iPhone, iPad, Android mobile and Android tablet. We’ve been using TestRail and have many, many test cases but they weren’t really organized all that well. We’ve decided to do a full reorganization as of now, and I’m pretty sure that if we move test cases around we’ll lose the run history so migrating everything is out.

Is it possible to create an entirely new instance of TestRail, and copy all the new TCs into it within the organizational framework we’ve decided on? (FYI we’re going with two main projects: iOS and Android, then within the cases and names of test runs specifying whether it’s mobile or tablet.) That way we can use the old instance while we set up the new one, and will have access to all previous and current run info, albeit in two different places.

Hello PST,

Thanks for your posting! I would recommend just adding two new projects in the same instance and then copying your cases from the original projects to the new ones (instead of setting up a completely new instance). You can even hide your old projects from the dashboard afterwards via TestRail’s permission system or move it to the completed section if you like.

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/howto-permissions

The advantage of using the same instance would be that you can still look at old test results, the case history and your projects in general in case this is ever needed (in the same instance).

Copying test cases (as opposed to moving them) won’t change anything in the original projects. You can copy test cases via the Copy/Move Test Cases dialog which can be opened via the icon with two sheets of paper when viewing a test suite/your case repository. You would simply go to the target project/suite, open the dialog and then choose the source project/suite to copy the cases from.

I hope this helps and please let me know in case anything is unclear!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello Tobias:

Thanks for the response. I am copying from Project #1 to Project #2. Project #1 has multiple test suites with multiple sections. In #2, I’ve created a suite to which to copy the test cases with their sections, but when I choose to copy test cases from #1, all of the test case sections from #1 copy over to #2 as suites. Any suggestions?

Hi PST,

Thanks for the update! I’m happy to help here. The Copy/Move Test Cases dialog wouldn’t add suites and only sections (and then only with the corresponding options at the bottom of the dialog). Could it be that project #2 is a single-suite project?

In this case, the project wouldn’t have any visible suites and the Test Cases tab would bring you directly to the case repository. If you then copy cases from the other project, it might look like that the Copy dialog has created suites instead of sections.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi again Tobias:

We’re running up against what I think may be a TestRail limitation. We have chosen to organize our test cases into two projects: iOS and Android. We want to take our existing projects and copy them into either the iOS or Android project. But our existing projects each have multiple suites, and those suites are copying over as sections instead of copying as suites within suites.

Basically I want to know if there’s a way to overcome the limitation of not being able to have sub-suites.

Right now we have this:
Project = App section #1
Project = App section #1 -> Suites and Cases = Section A, Section B, Section C, etc
Project = App section #1 -> Suites and Cases = Section A -> Subsections with test cases

We want this:
Project = iOS
Project = iOS -> Suites and Cases = App section #1
Project = iOS -> Suites and Cases = App section #1 ->(sub?) Suites and Cases = Section A, Section B, Section C, etc
Project -> iOS -> Suites and Cases -> App section #1 ->(sub?) Suites and Cases -> Section A = Subsections with test cases

Any suggestions?

Hi PST!

We would usually recommend managing all cases in a single repository (suite) with the single-suite mode for a project. In your case, it can also make sense to use the multi-suite mode and use a separate suite for each platform as you’ve already set up (iOS/Android). It’s not possible to add sub-suites but there’s no big difference to using sub-sections. In fact, sub-sections have many advantages over suites as you can create test runs and reports for all cases then (a test run is always linked to a test suite).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias