Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Enable Jira summary, but have it not prepopulated?

Hi there,

I’m using the ‘Push’ feature from my inside TestRail executed tests to Jira for bug logging. I have the summary field enabled for a title. Currently this prepopulates, usually with “Failed Test: Test case title”. However my development team doesn’t find this useful as a summary heading so I usually end up changing it to “Application component/feature: What the bug actually is”.

Is there a way to continue to have this as a pushed field, but not have it prepopulated?

You need to change the Jira_REST.php file in your /opt/app/testrail/app/plugins/defects directory.

Look for this function:
function _get_summary_default($context)

In there you can can change the prepopulated data

Hello Bethani,

Thanks for your posting. You can customize defect plugins by modifying their source code and instructions on how to do this can be found here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/defects-plugins-custom

As spacefrog already mentioned, you can change the default content of the Summary field by modifying the _get_summary_default method in the Jira_REST.php defect plugin file. Please let me know in case you have any questions about this, we are happy to help.

Regards,
Tobias