Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Editing Permissions

Is it possible to edit/add to the list of permissions available?

In particular, I would like to restrict our testers’ ability to move test cases, but unchecking the Add/Edit Test Cases & Sections permission is too restrictive for what we need.

Neil

Hello Neil,

Thanks for your posting. This is currently not supported but if you are concerned about moving test cases from one test suite to another you can disable this by removing the Delete permissions for Test Cases & Sections. As moving a test case from one suite to another may also delete associated test results in active test runs, this can be denied by removing the Delete permissions. Moving test cases in the same test suite is still possible even with removing the Delete permissions.

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias

Thanks again Tobias.

Does unchecking the Delete Test Cases & Sections permission also stop the Tester from copying test cases from one suite to another?

And you hit on the exact reason why we want to restrict moving test cases - it deletes existing results.

Neil

Hello Neil,

Thanks for the update. Delete permissions are not required for Copy. This just requires Add/Edit permissions for the target project and general access/read permissions for the source project.

Regards,
Tobias

Excellent, that solves my dilemma.

Thanks again Tobias for the always prompt and informative responses.

Neil

You are welcome, Neil. I forgot to mention that this requires at least TestRail 2.6 (the permissions were slightly different in older versions).

Regards,
Tobias