Subscribe Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security. Subscribe

Edit or remove Files from Add Comment/File

Is there a way to remove or edit a File that was attached to a test result via Add Comment/File sidebar?

@ninodooc,
When you hover over a filename, you will see a red circle with an “X” in it. Clicking that will start the process to remove the file (you must confirm that you really want to remove).
I don’t yet know of a way to edit the file short of editing it somewhere else and then replacing the one in the test case.

Hi @patsrick1943, this is pertaining to Test runs & results tab when you add a file/image to the test results. There is no way to edit/update it unless I execute the test case again.

If you are referring to editing the comment after the test run is closed, yes. You could edit the test case and remove the file, but that would not affect the results. Sorry that I misunderstood your question.

Still I wasn’t able to edit or delete it, we are using TestRail version v6.1.0.4369.
I guess what you are trying to say is to edit the attachment on the test case, yes that I can do but my problem is about editing a comment or attachment to the test results.

Yes. Sorry I am not more help. I don’t think you can edit a file in the results.

Hi @ninodooc,
I already started writing some sentences about editing a result, but finally I realized you’re not talking about the results. Instead you’re talking about adding a file or comment on test level.

But above you screenshot you wrote about executing a test case again. Do you mean you create a new run containing a new test case instance of it with a fresh area of comments?

Otherwise I can’t follow your request at all. Maybe I missed something, but I don’t understand why you don’t add a result for your execution containing your “Power consumption results.xlsx”. This would seperate everything. With the privilege to edit a result you even might be able to upload a new version of the file.

But you will never be able to edit the original attachment. TM-Tools have to guarantee a kind of traceability and TestRail would need to store different versions of the file what is currently not available.

Please let me know if I didn’t get your point…

Karsten

I already started writing some sentences about editing a result, but finally I realized you’re not talking about the results. Instead you’re talking about adding a file or comment on test level.

Yes I am talking about editing the result which includes editing or deleting the attachment on that specific result.

But above you screenshot you wrote about executing a test case again. Do you mean you create a new run containing a new test case instance of it with a fresh area of comments?

No, I just realized that in order to have a new file, you need to add another result on top of the current result.

Otherwise I can’t follow your request at all. Maybe I missed something, but I don’t understand why you don’t add a result for your execution containing your “Power consumption results.xlsx”. This would seperate everything. With the privilege to edit a result you even might be able to upload a new version of the file.

No, I can’t attach a new file on Edit results mode as there is no area to attach a file on the Edit result window. See image below:

Even if I add a file using Add Comment/File, and edit that comment it doesn’t show the add attachment field. See below:

But you will never be able to edit the original attachment. TM-Tools have to guarantee a kind of traceability and TestRail would need to store different versions of the file what is currently not available.

Ok, so this is not available.

OK, one last hope…
Correct, by edit a result it was never possible to get access to the attachment area, only images in the text fields could be removed/re-newed and they are handled as attachements as well.
During this edit it also wasn’t possible to change the overall status of the execution.
Since version xxx it is possible to modify a result. Because I’m not using TestRail right now I can’t check this. So can you check if probably the modify privilege will offer changing the attachments?
On your screenshot for the Edit Result I don’t find the chance to edit the status (not for the separated steps) either, so probably a modify dialog is bigger.
Do you know if you have the privilege to do so?
Just my last hope, sorry… :innocent:

I’m a tester and admin at the same time since I’m also doing custom scripts for our TR :smiley:
Yeah seems like I can only modify Test Result status and other custom fields but not attachments and results on test steps. Anyway thanks.