Subscribe Join 180,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security. Subscribe

Easy link of testrail case directly from Jira is not possible

Hi

I have setup the Testrail plugin in Jira for a specific JIRA project. This means that i from Jira now can press a button “Open Testrail: Cases” and from there press a button “Add Test Case”. I will be directed to my testrail where I can create a testcase with steps. However - after finishing the creation I am not directed back to Jira AND there is no link to Jira. In Jira it says “No test cases in TestRail are linked to this issue.” above the “Add Test Case” button. My guess is to have this linked you will have to add the testrail testcase to a run and add a result and then add the Jira id manually. To me that does not make any sense? If I create a testcase directly from Jira, I of course want it to be linked - right?

Hi @ldamkjar,
the link between issue and case is build by adding the Jira isssue_id to the field reference of the new created test case.
Once the field is filled and the case is saved, you can click the reference to get back to Jira and check the refernce between case and issue. Or you use the history function of the brwoser. There is no functionality to close TestRail agin and get back to JIRA automatically.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Thx - but that confirms my statement - right? In order to add a Jira caseno to the testrail reference field, you have to do that from add result in a test run?

SO - there is no value in being able to create a testrail testcase directly from Jira as I see it. Can you maybe tell me what the value is? What i s the purpose of that functionallity?

Best regards - Lars

Hi Lars,
not really…
A test case has the field refrence. Means you can reference a test case description with the corresponding requirement (story or whatever). If you don’t see it, is is maybe made hidden by your admin. This allows a kind of traceability between a test and the requirement behind it (reason for existense).

Linking a test run with a Jira issue can help you to see the status for a list of test on that particular issue (as a bigger requirement, probably a complete feature) or can be used for a task as a kind of progress.

Just to complete: A (usually negative) result of a test as part of a test run might have a link to a Jira issue as a defect or bug (as a task might be possible as well).

Depending on the kind of issue and what you want to achieve, the references can be very helpful.

I hope I could describe my understanding and it helps.

Regards
Karsten

Hi Karsten

I am sorry - it did not really clarify. We are not able to see much use of it, from what we can see in our Jira/Testrail and from the answers here. We have seen other tools with much more deep integration to Jira. Maybe I do not understand. Would a call/meeting make sense?

Best regards - Lars

Hi Lars,
then it might be better to contact support (or sales) directly.
I’m just an experienced test expert and former user, having some time to answer questions…

The integration is limited IMHO. Except the function to push a defect, it is limited to add references from TestRail to JIRA, a Jira plugin showing content based on the references (if you have the needed privs) and few hover info within TestRail based on Jira content.

Definately there are tools having a better integration. TestRail has advatages compared to other tools…

Regards
Karsten