Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Does the filter apply to all suites?

I found that it will apply the filter rule which is applied lately when I go to a view of a suite.
Is this a new feature from version 4.2?
It caused some problems:
For example:

If I filtered with section and then go to another suite which does not contain the section I choose lately, it will display “no test cases found.” and the filter is “none”.

This may confuse us and have no idea why it shows no test cases.

Does this configurable?
Also, can we keep some specific filter settings for some specific test run/plan?
For example:
Test run A apply filter rule a
and test run B apply filter rule b
Is it possible to do this?

Thanks.

Alston

Hello Alston,

Thanks for your posting. The filters apply to all test suites in a project and are stored per user & project. If you see a suite with a filter of None and believe there might in fact be cases or sections in this suite, you can re-apply/clear the filter to see if this makes a difference. This situation may happen if the filter includes a field which no longer applies to this project.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Is this one feature of 4.2?

Is this configurable ?

If not, is it possible to downgrade to 4.1?

Thanks.

Alston

Hi Alston!

TestRail 4.2 didn’t introduce any filter related changes and the 4.1 and 4.2 are the same in this regard. Filters are still managed per project, user and entity (i.e. you can have different filters for suites and runs, for example). It’s already planned to look into saving + reusing filters and sharing filters between users and I’m happy to add a vote to this feature request.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Got it. Thanks for your reply.

Alston

You are welcome, Alston!

Regards,
Tobias