Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

(Dev, Prod) JIRA environment(s), 1 TestRail (Prod) environment; is it easy to flip-flop integrations between 2 JIRA env and 1 TestRail env?

(Dev, Prod) JIRA environment(s), 1 TestRail environment; is it easy to flip-flop integrations between 2 JIRA env and 1 TestRail env?

• Two JIRA environments
    – Test
    – Production

• One TestRail (Production) environment

Would like to configure at first…

1. JIRA (Test) to TestRail (Production)
    – JIRA in the ‘Admin / Add-Ons / Configuration’, appears to ask for
    — TestRail Address
    — Integration Key

After the testing looks good, proceed to…

1. JIRA (Production) to TestRail (Production)
    – JIRA in the ‘Admin / Add-Ons / Configuration’, switch
    — TestRail Address
    — Integration Key

Are there any issues going from 1. to 2. in terms of switching the TestRail Address or generating another Integration Key?

Thanks!

Hi Garry,

Thanks for your posting! Yes, this works fine and you can integrate multiple JIRA instances with the same TestRail instance (even at the same time). The integration key is currently not used and for future use but we would still recommend generating the key just once and entering the same key in both JIRA installations (authentication works via iframes and session cookies instead).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks for the reply Tobias. I have passed this on to the necessary parties internally…

Garry.

Thanks, Garry! Please let me know in case anything else comes up, we are happy to help.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi, is this still valid as of Oct 24, 2016?

Hi Jose,

Yes, this scenario is still valid. You can test the integration with a test JIRA environment first and then switch to a production instance later. TestRail integrates with JIRA in two ways: a) with the JIRA add-on in JIRA (to see test cases & results in JIRA) and b) on TestRail’s side on Administration > Integration (to view/push JIRA issues from TestRail):

https://blog.gurock.com/?p=3365
http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/tools-jira

Cheers,
Tobias