Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Detection of smartinspect installation

Hello,

I’m working on autobuild script (for finalbuilder). First thing in the script would be detection of prerequisities for successful Delphi project compilation. Is there a way to detect if SmartInspect is installed? Maybe searching for specific value in registry? Registry search is more difficult on 64 bit system (due to WoW registry structure). Of course I can search for \Program Files(*)\SmartInspect, but this is less accurate.

best regards
Piotr Rezmer

Hello Piotr,

The SmartInspect setup writes the installation path to the registry under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gurock Software\SmartInspect\Professional

The name of the value is InstallPath. Would this work as an indicator?

Thanks,
Dennis

Hi,
It’s not so easy since it is installed in user environment. When build script is run under different user account, it would be difficult to parse all local users registry branches.

regards
Piotr Rezmer

Hello Piotr,

You are correct, the key would only be visible for the installation user. Looking for SmartInspect under Program Files would usually be a viable solution if you can control the build machines (e.g. you would only have to make sure that SmartInspect is always installed with the default options).

Thanks,
Dennis

Hi,

This is (path/file checking) how it is implemented right now. Since change in installation path is not supposed to happen, I can stick to this solution. The only thing that is worth checking is “Program Files” location difference on x86 an x64 machines. But if environment variable “CommonProgramFiles” is used, this is not a problem.

regards
Piotr