Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Defect integration with Jira

I have been able to set up the integration for a new project to JIRA. However when adding a test result and selecting PUSH to enter a defect, the projects that come up don’t include the one that I have just added. I can’t see how to add that new project so it will come up as a selection in the drop down window

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. TestRail pulls the list of projects directly from JIRA and if the list doesn’t include all (expected) projects, then this is likely a permission setting/issue in JIRA. Could you please check if your JIRA user account has access to this project in JIRA?

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks for the information. That was the issue.

Great to hear that, glad to help :slightly_smiling:

Cheers,
Tobias

I am getting the following error trying to integrate Testrail with Jira’s Defects

An Error Occurred		
	Plugin "Jira_REST" returned an error: Could not resolve host: <your-server>

Testrail log:

[E] 2016-05-18 15:51:02 [3606ms]: [HttpException] Could not resolve host:

Details:
File: /var/www/html/testrail/sys/helpers/ex.php
Line: 25
Status Code: 500
Host: testrail.dts.com
Uri: /testrail//index.php?/defects/ajax_lookup (POST)

Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0
PHP: 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.14
Server: Linux 3.13.0-76-generic #120-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 18 15:59:10 UTC 2016 x86_64

project_id: 3
defect_id: 2638
_token: 3fgyzQiA8D09Biu7h9yC
_version: 5.1.0.3413

Trace:
at ex::raise (http.php:219)
at http::request_ex (Jira_REST.php:1481)
at Jira_REST_api->_send_request (Jira_REST.php:1444)
at Jira_REST_api->_send_command (Jira_REST.php:1438)
at Jira_REST_api->get_issue (Jira_REST.php:805)
at Jira_REST_defect_plugin->lookup (defects.php:1126)
at Defects_controller->ajax_lookup (:)
at call_user_func_array (controller.php:254)
at Controller->_invoke_web_call (controller.php:167)
at Controller->_invoke_web (controller.php:119)
at Controller->_invoke (gizmo.php:107)
at require_once (index.php:106)

Hi German,

Thanks for your posting! This means that TestRail cannot connect to your JIRA installation and it seems to be a DNS issue (host name lookup). For the full lookup/push functionality, TestRail needs to use JIRA’s API and this requires a direct connection between TestRail and JIRA. Is JIRA reachable from the TestRail server? Can you try to use the IP of the JIRA server instead of a host name (address option under Administration > Integration)?

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thank you for the response, my issue is solved I had mis-configured URL address.

Regards,
German

Integrating TR with JIRA

Happy to hear that it’s working :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias