Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Customising YouTrack defect plugin with hosted TestRail

Hi,

I found the documentation on how to write a custom defect plugin for YouTrack, but can’t figure out how to implement it in our hosted TestRail environment.

Is this even possible? We totally do not want to host TestRail ourselves, yet it is a pain not to be able to set more fields in YouTrack when pushing defects.

Regards,

Arild :slight_smile:

Hi Arild,

Thanks for your posting. Custom defect plugins are only supported with TestRail Server but we would usually recommend using the default plugins if possible. If you have some (mandatory) fields that aren’t supported by the Push dialog by default (e.g. custom fields), we recommend switching them to non-mandatory in YouTrack and filling them in later (in YouTrack) after pushing the issue from TestRail’s UI. Using the default plugin has the advantage that you will automatically benefit from plugin updates and changes to the defects feature in general (and this might not be the case if you are using a custom plugin).

Cheers,
Tobias

OK, I realise the benefit of using default plug-ins. The fields in question are not mandatory, but being a small shop we like to automate as much as possible and avoid as much manual maintenance work as possible. With only a couple more fields available, the case would have been complete in YouTrack.

Now I will have to rely on the testers to complete the tasks in YouTrack (I can’t), or I will have to check YouTrack for new unassigned cases (I forget).

Anyway, case is closed as you have answered my question, even if the answer wasn’t what I hoped it would be.

Best,

Arild :slight_smile:

Hi Arild,

Thanks for your reply! There might be options/features in YouTrack that help with finding unassigned cases, or creating reports for this so you don’t forget to assign them. We are not super familiar with YouTrack but this sounds like YouTrack might be able to help with this.

Cheers,
Tobias