Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Custom Fields for Milestones

It would be great if custom fields would be available for milestones as well.

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for your posting. What fields are you looking for to add? You can already add additional details to the description field (also in a structured format using TestRail’s rich-text formatting):

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/userguide-editor

Cheers,
Tobias

Custom Fields would be great for Milestones and new Test Suites. One thing for Test Suites I would love to add, is the ability to associate a Test Suite to a Milestone so that way we can make it so a Milestone is automatically associated with the Test Cases created in said Suite.

@tgurock: It would be great to have such cusom fields like for results, …
The background of it is, we want to read this values easily via the API

Jonny

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your feedback. You can already use the bulk-edit feature for this but I understand that a milestone field on the suite level would make this easier to manage. Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks! Can you provide an example for this? I’m asking as you can already add additional details to the milestone description, for example.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

an example is a Ticket ID (which is not related to a specific testcase) or priority.
If I have just one value the description area is fine, if it is more than one value the effort is higher to extract the needed informations.

Cheers

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the additional details. You can alternatively also add such tickets to the section description if they apply to multiple cases (in a section). In general, we can recommend using the References and Defects field to track tickets and issues and this is the best way to generate reports or integrate with other tools such as JIRA, for example.

Cheers,
Tobias

@jonathan.becker You could setup a part in the description that would be set up a standard way so you could easily parse all the additional information.

i.e. - Let the QA/Whomever add whatever details they want at the beginning of the description. But, at the bottom of the description do something like

-> Data Point 1: Blah
-> Data Point 2: Blah Blah
-> Data Point 3: Blah Blah Blah
etc.

Yes, this looks like a good approach, thanks for the suggestion, Zach!

Cheers,
Tobias

I’ll give it a try next time!
Thanks!