Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Custom field integration without server

Hi,

I’m trying to configure the Testrail defect ‘push’ function to JIRA, and am trying to add custom dropdown boxes to connect with custom fields I’ve created in JIRA. The only documentation I’ve found is about altering the source code of the JIRA integration plug-in when using the server based version of testrail, which we are not using. Is there no way to make the services talk to each other in this way?

I’ve added the following to the defects tab in configuration:

[push.fields]
summary=on
project=on
issuetype=on
component=on
assignee=on
priority=on
affects_version=on
customfield_11002=on
fix_version=off
estimate=off
labels=off
environment=off
parent=off
linktype=off
links=off
description=on

[push.field.customfield_11002]
label=Severity
size=compact
type=dropdown
required=false

Of course, this just creates an unclickable dropdown that lacks options. There doesn’t even seem to be a way to manually create options, let alone have it automatically populate from JIRA. Plus I imagine it wouldn’t automatically send the user selection to the correct field in JIRA anyway.

I can have users manually create the field in JIRA, but that seems much more error prone than having it in the push dialogue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the post. In this case, what fields are you attempting to map to? In JIRA, what type of fields are you creating? Just as an FYI, if you are attempting to map to agile fields i.e., Sprint, etc., you will not be able to do this as JIRA treats these fields differently than other fields within itself.

Thanks for your response.

I’ve created several custom fields in JIRA to map to a clients testing requirements. They’re simple drop-down boxes.

Hey Sam,

Thank you for the response. I would recommend sending us a message at contact@gurock.com so we can better assist you with this.