Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

CSV import with subsections: duplicated sections

If you import 2 different CSV files with the same sections hierarchy you’ll get duplicated folders.

For example:

• import file1.csv with test case 1 (TC1) to Top Section > Sub Section #1 > Sub Section #2 section
  • import file2.csv with test case 2 (TC2) to Top Section > Sub Section #1 > Sub Section #2 section

Expected result:

• Top Section
    • Sub Section #1
      • Sub Section #2
        • TC1
        • TC2

Actual result:

• Top Section
    • Sub Section #1
      • Sub Section #2
        • TC1
  • Top Section
    • Sub Section #1
      • Sub Section #2
        • TC2

If different test cases are grouped by the same section all works fine instead.

Is this a problem or am I doing something of wrong?

Thanks in advance

I’ve seen now that it is a duplicated topic (https://discuss.gurock.com/t/duplicate-sections-when-importing-csv/1974).

I hope it will be included in next features because we use intensively bulk test cases imports based on csv/xls! Is there any chance?

Hi Davide,

Thanks for your post! That’s correct, currently the importer would always recreate the sections/subsections as separate section as opposed to importing test cases into the previously created sections of the same name. That said, and as mentioned in other similar posts, we do have plans to look into this and we’re happy to add your vote to the request as well. In the meantime, we would just recommend performing your import, and then using TestRail’s move features to put test cases into the correct sections. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco