Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Critical Bug: Images are not copied when test cases are moved between projects

I’ve just found that test cases that contain images and are copied from one project to another are unusable by Testers in the destination project unless they have rights in the original project. Testers get broken images.

Troubleshooting finds that, if the Tester requests the image directly via the URL embedded in the HTML, they get re-directed with the message “The requested project does not exist or you do not have permission to access it”.

As there is no history of where the test case was originally copied from, it took me a while to find the right project and give the user rights. Once I had done so though the resources were visible again.

This is not a usable work-around.

Hi @mpayne,

Thanks for your posting! Attachments (the ones in the sidebar) are copied over to the new project when you copy cases. It’s just that inline screenshots (the one you embed in text fields) are still linked to the original project. If the permissions are different for the two projects, it can make sense to upload/embed the images again so you don’t need at least read permissions for the other project.

Cheers,
Tobias

Sorry Tobias, that’s not a workable solution.

Thanks for your feedback. Inline-/embedded images are currently not copied over so reattaching the screenshots would be required if you don’t want to give read permissions for the original project. Another alternative would be to use the attachments in the sidebar instead and those would be copied to the new project when copying cases across projects.

Cheers,
Tobias

I agree. I dread moving my test scenarios to a different project due to the same exact issue. Please add my vote to this feature request.

Thanks for your feedback, @srau!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

None of the suggested solutions are workable in the real world. Basically, we either -

• lose the feature to use inline images
  • lose the feature to move or copy test cases
  • lose the feature to apply different security levels between projects

Unfortunately, only finding this out now means that the best alternative for me is the third. Not a great position.

Hi @mpayne,

The third option would work well if you have the same people working on the projects but I understand that copying the images would be better (like with the attachments). Thanks again for your feedback on this.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

It also doesn’t work when you want to deprecate a project.

You can simply set the project to read-only in this case (e.g. by changing the project access to Guest/Read-only) and optionally close the project (which moves the project down on the dashboard page).

Cheers,
Tobias